╰┈‣ hania and i

« a short story i wrote cuz i was bored as hell :) »

I picked up the photo frame on the counter, a small sigh escaping my lips as my fingers traced the old, worn-out flower patterns adorning the edges of the frame. Two girls running, their hair flying in the wind, the epitome of happiness.

If only we could go back.

Back to when we were happier.

I tilted my head up, watching as Hania dumped everything into its boxes, her face void of emotion. She was wearing that mask again, the one that let her stow away from reality and ignore her feelings. Because, and I quote, "Reality is a nightmare."

It is. Reality is an effing nightmare.

I glanced back at the picture, and before I knew it, the words were out of my mouth, "You remember this?" Crap.

I hadn't realised. I hadn't realised exactly when that picture had been taken. I felt my heart start to sink, as my fingers began to shake. I saw her facade crack, as she glimpsed at the picture. A slow teeny tiny smile creeped up to her lips, just for a second. Crack. And then it was gone, replaced with the wobbling of her lips, as she looked away, unable to handle the rush of emotions.

We both knew when that picture was taken. Oh, god. It was supposed to be a happy memory.

Falling onto the sofa, I clutched the frame to my chest, silent tears decorating my cheeks. Soon enough, Hania joined me, and together, we cried, the cold biting at us as we hung onto each other, desperate for some warmth in all the darkness.

Tears drying on our cheeks, our eyelids slowly closed shut, and we welcomed the darkness that overwhelmed us.

That night, I had a nightmare.

No, not a nightmare, more like monstrous memories resurfacing again, their fangs ready to cut deep into my skin, pulling me under, suffocating me. .

---

I ran. I had to win. Or else, Hania would and she'd rub it in my face.

I had to win.

So we ran, pushing against each other, striving to be the first one to reach the cone, to win the damn race.

Our moms clicked pictures, stupid smiles on their faces as they laughed at us. The sky was sunny, the grass was green, everything was perfect. Even my dad was there, cheering me on. I knew he and mom never got along, but I loved that he came. I missed him.

Hania's parents always had it nice, their relationship was stronger than diamonds. I hated it. She was so lucky.

So I had to win. To show her that I was better than her. That I was luckier.

But I wasn't. Yet, I ran.

Away from our parents, away from the benches on which they sat, away from the building that collapsed.

Suddenly, nothing was perfect. Everything was hell. Debris, smoke, cries. I wanted to go home.

But I couldn't find my parents, I couldn't find anyone. It was just me, and I was sinking, my eyes fluttering shut as the terror blinded me. But someone was screaming my name, her voice hoarse and dry. We had to go, we had to run.

And so we did. Together.

We cried, we flailed, and we watched.

The police were there, the ambulance too. So many people, and yet none were our parents. None.

They were gone.

We crumbled to the cold hard floor, the debris cutting at our knees, the world laughing at our sorrow, the ghosts of our parents stabbing at our hearts.

I cried. I begged. I screamed.

They never came back.

---

I sat upright, gasping for air. My heart thumped wildly, the beads of sweat dripping down my forehead, like the tears that I was too tired to cry.

The room was dimly lit, the early morning sun trickling in through the drawn curtains. It was nearly dawn, and all I could see were the faces of my parents, smiling, laughing.

I missed them.

I let out a sob and glanced next to me, watching Hania snore. She'd always been there for me. Every second, every day. We'd been inseparable since that incident, and I hoped it'd stay that way.

I smiled, remembering how we were dumped into the foster system after we ended up becoming orphans and how we'd scare away every single person who showed even the slightest interest in separating us.

Hania had taken care of me better than anyone else. She'd supported me in every decision, consoled me through every heartbreak, and slapped me out doing every single stupid thing that came to my mind.

I grinned, my eyes filled with gratitude.

That day, I may have lost my family, but I gained a new one too.

A friend.

A partner in crime.

A sister.