3 Heartache: Part 1

October 9th – October 14th, 2014

I followed behind Sam and Dean at a farmer's market while I talked to Nate on the phone. Dean scrolled through his phone while he blindly followed behind Sam, who had picked up an apple and took a huge bite out of it.

"Okay, I gotta go. We just pulled up to the place," Nate said.

I nodded. "Good luck. Just shoot me a text after."

He chuckled. "Yeah, will do."

"Bye, Maddi!" Garth yelled in the background.

"Bye, Garth." I smirked.

"I love you," Nate said.

"Um, I—" I cleared my throat and glanced up at Sam and Dean. "Same to you." I hung up.

Dean chuckled as he continued scrolling through his phone. "Wow. Guy goes to Purgatory for a year, all hell breaks loose." He nodded at his phone. "Check this out. A jogger in Minneapolis gets his heart ripped out."

"I'm guessing literally?" Sam asked.

Dean nodded. "Only way that interests me. And then, there's another article from six months ago."

Sam put some tomatoes in the canvas bag he was carrying while barely listening to Dean.

"Same thing happens, also in Minneapolis. What does that tell us?" Dean asked.

"Sounds like a case," I said.

Sam shrugged. "Or stay out of Minneapolis."

"Two hearts ganked, same city, six months apart," Dean said.

Sam handed some cash to the little old woman sitting behind the tomato display.

"I mean, that's got to be a ritual, man. Or at least some sort of a heart-sucking, possessed, satanic, crack-whore bat," Dean said.

Sam furrowed his brow. "A what?"

"It's a case," Dean snapped, "Look, I say we hang out the shingle again and ride."

"We're on a case, Dean," Sam said, "Kevin and the demon tablet need to be found, so heart guy takes a number."

"Uh, we just spent a week chasing our asses trying to lock Kevin down, okay? And look at us. We're—" Dean looked around, confused. "Where the hell are we?"

"Farmers' market," Sam said slowly as he held up his apple. "Organic."

Dean and I shook our heads at each other and turned our attention back to Sam.

He shrugged. "What? I had a year off. I took the time to enjoy the good things."

I nodded. "Yup. While completely avoiding what we do."

Sam rolled his eyes. "Wow, does it make you guys feel that much better every time you say it?"

Dean sighed. "All right, man, look, I get it. You took a year off to do yoga and play the lute, whatever, but I'm back." He nodded. "Okay, we're back, which means that we walk and kill monsters at the same time. We'll find Kevin. But in the meantime, do we ignore stuff like this? Or are innocent people supposed to die so that you can shop for produce?"

Sam looked guilty for a moment and sighed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After talking with the detective working on the jogger case at the police station, we waited for him to come back with the case files.

The detective returned a few minutes later and set the files down on the desk in front of us. "Here's what's odd about this thing... the guy wasn't chopped or cut into, no incision. But his heart was ripped out of him like a peach pit."