Chapter 4: A Firework's Afterglow

Lying down, staring at an empty wooden ceiling. Sleeping didn't come easy. To ignore such feelings was a hard thing to do. You tried to fill your head with happy thoughts and experiences. Along those thoughts came a strange desire to take a walk in the garden.

It was a good opportunity to cool down and tire yourself out. You stood up from your bed and headed for your door. For a strange reason, you hesitated for a moment. 

This is odd. It's a gut feeling, but where's the harm in a small walk?

Ignoring it, you walked into the hallway and made your way to the main entrance. You put on your shoes and took your first step outside. The night sky was illuminated by bright moonlight. It was a full moon.

Taking a glance at the plants and trees, you noticed something.

Huh. That's right. It's summer now. Japanese Snowbells are gone now. 

You looked up to the sky, there was a gentle summer breeze blowing your hair slightly.

 There are many stars tonight. Which reminds me...

Kanao said they hold "Summer Festivals" and they have fireworks, lots of food, games... 

You couldn't see any fireworks. It was kind of strange. You were kind of close to this one town, but it was oddly quiet except for the noisy cicadas. 

You lowered your head and sighed. You loved being at the mansion and treating injured people, but sometimes you wished you could go out. 

You stared at the gate that led outside. You weren't stupid, you obviously wouldn't sneak out. What if someone found out? You'd be in deep trouble. Besides, there are man-eating demons outside. Kanao and Shinobu had told you about them. There was no way- 

You heard a huge popping sound and a light show piercing the horizon followed. That was your trigger

But... taking a closer look wouldn't do any harm, would it?

Without thinking it twice, you opened the gates and stepped out. There was a space in front of the road with a clear view of the sky up ahead. From there, you would see the entire thing. 

Walking up to it, you looked up at the sky. Apart from all the beautiful stars hanging from the sky, there were Fireworks, or so you assumed, decorating the sky. The sound was very loud, but there was comfort in watching them.

You've never seen something as beautiful and bright, or have you?

A bright red firework rose and exploded in the sky. It reminded you of something.

There wasn't a way to stop your mind from thinking back on that memory, and the image was already taking over your thoughts.

Right, those red crimson orbs Tanjiro had for eyes. That's what that firework reminded you of. 

The event was persistent on your mind and wouldn't leave. Even you couldn't allow yourself to like that boy. Kanao had looked happier than ever. Happier than you could ever hope to feel. Her feelings...

... were nothing compared to yours. 

To be honest, somewhere deep down, those words stung you. But it didn't matter to you. 

As long as she can be happy... and as long as she can always wear that smile around him... I'm willing to sacrifice my own happiness. And that's because-

"I love you! I love you, mom! And I swear I will forever!"

A little girl's voice echoed.

You turned your head so you were looking next to you. A little girl was wearing a pink kimono and had her hair tied in two ponytails, but her hair was a bit too short. You couldn't see her face very clearly though. She was holding a woman's hand.