Chapter Twenty Eight

No quote this chapter

"Hopefully these will fit you, my mother was more full than you are," Brahms joked handing me a few of his mother's old dresses.

I wasn't the fancy type, but Brahms insisted I wore nicer clothes than the "rags" I had been supplied with during my time here. I couldn't argue with him he was set in his decision. I found it more endearing than anything else, at least he thought of me as someone he cared about.

"They'll suit just fine Brahms thank you," I smiled at him. They were a little big, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. I was just happy he had thought of me.

Brahms smiled back and left the room allowing me some privacy to change. Even though he had seen me completely naked before, he still always acted like a gentleman.

Ever since I had asked him how he felt about me, he had been extra caring and doting. I can't say that I didn't enjoy it, but a small part of me still felt like the entire relationships was forced on both ends. I for some reason felt like a last resort, like I wasn't what he wanted. Granted he's never had an intimate relationship with anyone but I figured even a first would feel more raw if he really loved me.

I quickly undressed, and slid on one of Mrs. Heelshire's evening dresses. Aside from being two sizes bigger in the middle, the length was perfect.

"Nothing a few alterations can't fix," I mumbled to myself as I glared at my reflection. My body was never good enough for my expectations. My arms and legs were thin, but my torso was short and stubby making me look disproportionate. Brahms never seemed to mind how I looked though, then again I had never gotten deeply into the topic with him.

I sighed, content with the first frock and began to undress to try on the next one, laying draped on the bed.

after a few more dresses and uneasy glances into the mirror, I pulled off the last one and carefully laid it over the others.

I bit my lip. Did Brahms expect me to wear these all the time? If he did, he's very mistaken. Amongst the other body image issues I had, I never wore dresses unless I had to. Track pants and cardigans were my go to, they made me feel comfortable and they were safe.

I quickly got dressed into my "old" clothes, and walked towards the staircase to see what Brahms was doing downstairs.

never in my life did I think I would be here, in a house with a man like Brahms. I still didn't know how to feel, or what I was even doing here. All I knew was that I felt happy here and that somehow was good enough for me.

Brahms greeted me with a warm smile as I neared the landing. He had been in the foyer rearranging a few chairs and such. I figured he was patiently waiting on me to finish, as he seemed eager to see me.

I returned his smile with an equally warm one and walked over to him, "I hope I'm not interrupting," I laughed almost comically.

Brahms shook his head, "no not at all I was just waiting on you to see if you'd like to have tea with me in the garden. There's a few things I would like to discuss with you."

My heart began to race. A few things to discuss with me? What are those? My head immediately began thinking the worst.

Brahms seemed to have read my mind and gently placed his large hand on my shoulder, "it's nothing to get all worked up about Kátalin."