Chapter Twenty

Still can't find a good quote!!
- Ri

I searched an old bookshelf underneath a dim light, hoping to find something on Brahms' past.

There were a few books, and old boxes of clothing but nothing useful. I huffed loudly, discouraged at my lack of discovery.

Just as I was about to turn around and go back downstairs, a red leather book with gold bordering caught my eye. I grabbed it and yanked it off the shelf. A few other books and papers flew off of the top of it as I held it in my hands.

After blowing as much dust as I could off of the cover, I read the label, "Brahms," a surge of excitement ran through my body as if I found a lost treasure chest full of gold.

I flicked my tongue out and moistened my lips as I opened the cover. Dozens of pictures of a small round baby in little dapper outfits filled the pages. Each one was marked, "Brahms," with a date and his supposed age. He had large doe eyes, and black curls on top of his plump head. His mouth, drooling and a light pink seemed to smile and giggle at the camera.

I grinned to myself as I looked at the baby Brahms. He really was an adorable infant. Some photos had his mother or father in them, which were marked, "with mummy," or "with daddy."

I sighed and smiled a little relieved that Brahms was turning out to be a normal child. Each picture reflected that of a happy and content child.

That was, until it didn't anymore. Once I got to Brahms' three year mark in his photo album, he began to smile less and less. His eyes darkened, and his face paled. My smile quickly disappeared as I advanced in his album. He became more and more ominous and miserable.

At the end of the album, he was eight years old. There was a young girl also present in his photos. She had bright red hair and a slight smug expression. She seemed like the kind of girl to avoid on the playground. The label read, Emily Cribbs age eight."

From the looks of the photos, she and Brahms seemed to be friends or at least that's what the pictures were trying to portray. He never smiled at her; only glared, and she didn't seem to mind as long as the camera was on her. I flipped through the few photos Brahms had with Emily and they were all the same. He seemed like he strongly disliked her company. I didn't blame him.

Slightly content with what I had found, I gently shut the book and held it high to place it back on the shelf. Once I placed the photo album on the top shelf, I couldn't shove it to the back, something was blocking it.

I stood on my tip toes and grabbed what was causing the blockage. A small box sealed with a strap clunked in my hand. I curiously pulled it to the edge and grabbed it with both hands.

After wiping the dust off of the box, I opened the strap, and peered inside. Dozens of letters, newspaper clippings, and articles were folded inside.

I sat down on the floor and dumped the papers in front of me. Digging around the pile, I found five letters, three newspaper clippings, and a photo of the girl, Emily, that had been in Brahms' album.

I chose to read the letters first. The first one I picked up was dated, 1993. It was addressed from Mrs. Heelshire to Brahms.

"My dearest Brahms, I understand the annex is not your ideal place of living, but you've done something so unforgivable you must learn to cope under the circumstances. Your father and I blame ourselves for this terrible occurrence and we can't apologize enough to you for neglecting your very obvious mental needs. We are trying everything in our power to move on, and to make right, but what you've done is something no soul can forget. You must learn to understand your permanent situation and make do. Stay inside the annex at all times, as that is what is best for all of us. God help us all,"
                                                        - Mummy and Daddy