The Truth

Cordelia could not believe it. She had to get away from James and Grace. But she could not go outside, not without a coat in the winter in London. Just as she wanted to escape to her room, she heard James say: „Thank God this farce is over." By that, Cordelia decided to stay there. The next few minutes were blurry in Cordelia's memories. Later, she only remembered the most important things. James had never really loved Grace. His bracelet had made him think that. He had always loved her, Cordelia. And he remembered the time she had cared for him when he had had the fever. She had listened to James and Grace's fight from outside the room. When James opened the door, she stared at him. He didn't look at her, but she knew he had seen her by the way his body shivered. Grace left the room behind him. James then called for Effie and said with a calm voice: „Effie, would you summon the consul, please. There is a criminal. I will have to talk to Cordelia now." Then he glanced at her, the mask removed for that moment, and it was the most longing look Cordelia had ever seen. Only by that she felt as if her body was on fire. She shivered. „I will, but who will tell the consul what happened? I have no clue.", Effie asked, looking a bit puzzled and annoyed either. „Grace will tell Charlotte everything she did. Now come on, Cordelia." Cordelia followed him as if in trance upstairs into his bedroom. She heard Effie say something like that the criminal telling the crimes he committed would not be a good idea, but Cordelia's focus was on James. He locked the door behind her. „Did you hear everything?", he asked. When he looked at her, the mask was not there. He looked at her with a desire, but also with love and admiration. Suddenly Cordelia found it hard to breathe. Her voice cracked. „Y-yes, I did. But I am not sure whether I understood everything right." She was still in shock. „Daisy, I love you. I'm in love with you. I have been ever since you cared for me when I had the fever. Grace, she put a spell on me to make me believe I loved her, and it worked until we got married, until we moved in here. I find me now wondering about our relationship, but I can understand you if you do not like me the way I love you." Cordelia did not know what to say. This was her dream come true, that James, the love of her life, wanted to be together with her, not only for her reputation, but because he loved her. She did not want to ruin that moment. „James, I cannot believe this. It seems like a dream. I do not want to make a fool of myself for telling you the truth." James shook his head and took her hand. „Daisy, do not you think that. I have made a fool of myself the past years, not realising how great you are. I am so sorry that I hurt you by forcing you into this marriage. I hope I did not go to far. If you want to leave, you-" „James, stop. This marriage is a torture for me, but not in the way you think. I love you, too. And when you asked me to marry you, in a way it made me happy like nothing else could. But I also felt like I used you, because you did not know I loved you. I do not know what to do with this situation. I-" James stopped her by kissing her. It was the best kiss they had ever shared. That night, they drew their marriage runes. It was a night you would expect a newly married couple to have. They went further than they had ever went. It was also the first night Cordelia and James shared a bed. It was the best night in both of their lifes. Everything felt perfect for them.