The Next Day

The next morning, when Cordelia woke up, James was gone. For a moment, she panicked, but when she saw her second marriage rune, she felt reassured. And then James entered the room. He had a tablet with him. On it was everything for a perfect English Breakfast. „Good Morning", he said. He sat down on the bed beside her and put the tablet on the bedside table, then gave her a kiss on her forehead. Cordelia said: „Good Morning", then asked: „Did you cook that?" „Indeed I did. Surprising, right? But Effie left the house yesterday with Grace and Charlotte and is not yet to be seen. So I supposed I could make us some breakfast. Are you hungry?" „Yes, I am starving. Thank you." They started eating and talked and watched out of the window. It was the most delicious and beautiful breakfast Cordelia had ever had. Last night, it had snowed. Now, London was covered in snow. Everything was perfect. James, the view and the food. Cordelia was the happiest she had ever been. She still felt as if she was in a dream and coul not believe it yet. „Daisy, I invited the Merry Thieves over for this evening. I think we should explain everything to them. They probably have heard of Grace's arrest already, but I have not talked to them yet. I hope you are fine with that. And besides, the rest of the day we have for us." „Yes, I do think we should do that. I need to talk to Lucy, either. And to my mother, but that I can do tomorrow. And James, I love you. Thank you for being you. „ I love you, too, Daisy." Then they kissed. The rest of the day, Cordelia and James spent in the study most of the time. The two played board games, kissed, read books to each other, kissed, and they had a fine meal a while after Effie came back from the Consul. She told them that they would have to go to Charlotte's tomorrow to tell their part of the story. That brought Cordelia's mood down a little but, but James said: „Let's worry about that tomorrow. And besides, I won the last game. You now owe me an answer." This intimacy, their ritual, made Cordelia love James even more. She smiled and said: „Fine then, I suppose. Let's go." Quickly, they went back to the study. They sat down on the sofa, and James started to talk. „Daisy, I did not know what I should ask you, because it seems I know you so well already. But I think I should ask you this question, because you never got to truly and honestly answer to it." He took a deep breath, then slowly exhaled. Cordelia had an idea what his question would be, but she did not want to celebrate too early. James continued. „I love you, Daisy. I love how passionate you are, I love how you care for everyone, I love how you fit into our group of friends so perfectly. I love that you are so polite to everyone, but also that you are so emotional. I love the way you always understand me, that we can talk about everything, that you are always there for me and that I know you would always stand up for me, like you did when I destroyed Blackthorn Manor. I love how beautiful you are, your look when you have just woken up, you in beautiful dresses, your smell and your hair. I hope to spend the rest of my life with you. You are so perfect in every way, that I sometimes wonder whether I deserve you. So, my question is, and this time I ask you filled with love and hope and joy, Cordelia Katayoun Herondale, my Daisy, will you marry me?" Tears had started running down Cordelia's face. She could not think straight, but even if she could, her answer would always be the same „Of course I will, James. I cannot imagine a life without you. You are my life. So yes, always and forever, yes." James pulled her into a deep hug. He whispered: „ Thank you, Daisy." in her ear, then covered his face in her hair. Cordelia felt as if she was in heaven.