The Merry Thieves

The day went by in a rush. Cordelia and James did everything they loved, they ate, played chess, read and made love. Which was still a completely new, exciting feeling to Cordelia. When the two heard the Merry Thieves in front of the door, James frowned. 

"I do not think I am ready to share you yet.", he said, grabbing her by the waist.

Cordelia laughed: "I love you. But we have to stop while it's still possible. Come on, let's say hello to them.", and took his hand to pull him to the door.

Effie, who had returned around midday, had already let the others inside. They were taking their coats off when James and Cordelia greeted them. "

Lucie squeaked and rushed into Cordelias arms. A silent tear was running down her face. She smiled and did not say a word. They still understood each other perfectly. At the same time, Matthew, Christopher and Thomas all tried to hug James, which ended in a messy group hug.

"I'm so happy for you.", Matthew said to James, "It took you a while."

Thomas nodded: "Yes, that is certainly true. But I'm so happy for you."

Christopher only gave a sign to Lucie and Cordelia to make them join their circle, so that was what they did. It made her feel connected to all of them Suddenly, she had the urge, or rather the need, to express her gratitude.

"Wow. I'm still a bit overwhelmed, but mostly happy. Thank you.", Cordelia whispered. 

She could feel James beside her. He was radiating warmth and love. Immediately, her cheeks flushed. He noticed, grinned, took her hand and then pressed a subtle kiss onto her head. The rest pretended not to notice. After a while of breathing in the safety and peace of their friendship and simply enjoying each others' company, they let go and walked into the living room. Cordelia thanked Effie silently. She had set the table with cake and tea and hot chocolate for all of them without even asking. That was one of the things, or rather persons, she would be eternally grateful for. Lucie sat down first, tapping on the stool beside her so Cordelia joined her. The boys also sat down.

Matthew then broke the not at all awkward silence: "Wow, that looks good. Who wants chocolate cake?"

 They quickly chose between the chocolate cake and the apple pie. Then they began eating. Again, Cordelia felt as if everything was perfect. The cake, the atmosphere, the talks, her chosen family- everything. She couldn't stop smiling and laughing until her cheeks began to hurt. But that was one of the good pains for her.

When they were all finished, they moved to the sofa. James lit a fire, so the room was heated and glowed with a beautiful light. They had  good conversations about everything and nothing until Cordelia started telling Lucie, Matthew, Christopher and Thomas about the night before. Matthew made a lot of funny comments. Lucie looked at her the whole time. Christopher seemed to understand everything while Thomas, trying to cover it up, had tears in his eyes. They had all been waiting for this to happen, she realised. James was holding her hand the entire time and helped her with the story in some moments. Cordelia did not think it was possible, but this, these true feelings, this sharing, the support and love, made the day even better than it was already. When she had told everything, Lucie asked something.

"And what will happen now?"

They all knew she meant Grace by that. Suddenly, there was a hot feeling, a burn in her chest. With a little fear, she realised it was anger, rage even. She hated Grace, but that was hard for her to admit. She did not want to be like that, also because she could understand very well what it was like to want something one could not have.

So they talked about it. About every possibility, the law but their needs and whishes either. The past, the present, the future. They discussed all of it. And while the topic itself made Cordelia feel uneasy, the honestness and trust in this room gave her all she had ever wanted. 

It was getting later and later. The sun had already set, so the six decided to have dinner and then Lucie, Matthew, Thomas and Christopher would go home to have a safe ride. Effie cooked for them. Again, they ate and talked. Again, it was perfect. It was already seven or eight when the group left Cordelia and James. They hugged Good-Bye and agreed to meet at the institute tomorrow.

After a long but beautiful evening, Cordelia and James finally were alone. She took a deep breath, not because she was exhausted, but rather because this happy day was difficult to proccess at once. She wanted to rest her head and let all of that go. So Cordelia smiled as James turned to kiss her.