Chapter Fifteen

Mikaela Martin | Present

As nerdy as I am, I'm never excited for school. I love learning, but I'm not a fan of having to sit in a stuffy classroom with people who make me anxious.

I run a brush through my slightly wavy, boring brown hair and frown at myself in the mirror. Today, I hit a new level of not wanting to go to school. Not only will I have to see Liam, but I'll also have to deal with whatever fallout is coming my way from Gigi's angry friends. I might be uncool and innocent for my age, but I'm not naïve. I know what I'm in for.

While Gigi is nice, some of her friends aren't. I know that Liana isn't going to settle for one mean comment she probably isn't even sure I heard. Liana and their friend Rachel are going to make it their mission to upset me as revenge for kissing Peyton at fall formal.

I drive slowly to school, planning to spend as little time as an open target in the hallways as possible, and arrive in English with one minute to spare. Annalise looks me up and down while I walk in. She resembles a creepy guy checking me out, but I know she's just concerned. I'm never almost-late to class.

"What's wrong?" she demands as soon as the bell rings.

Quietly, I share my concerns about this week. With each word, she straightens her posture. By the time I'm done relaying my worries, she's practically on her tippytoes.

"That's what they want, Micky," she sighs. "They want you to be scared of them. They want to come between you and Peyton. You can't let them."

"Easier said than done," I grumble.

"What's easier said than done?" Peyton appears from a sea of students, grinning his perfect grin. "I was looking for you this morning," he adds.

"Somebody," Annalise says, "is worried—"

"Annalise!" I hiss.

She simply purses her lips and turns to Peyton. "She's worried Gigi's friends are going to be mean to her."

"It's fine," I assure him. I don't want him to worry about me or, worse, feel guilty that I'm a target because of him, not that it's his fault.

He frowns and wraps his arm around my waist. "Would people do that in school?" he asks.

"Yes," Annalise and I answer at the same time.

"I thought that just happened in the movies," he says quietly.

Annalise shakes her head, chuckling to herself. "Oh, you sweet summer child," she sighs.

I can't help it. I burst into a fit of giggles, and Peyton joins in, his laugh echoing through the hall. A flash of red hair zips by, followed by two girls yelling, "Gigi!" and my happiness is gone in an instant.

Annalise crosses her arms and glares at something over my shoulder. Peyton and I turn around, and I see her coming. Rachel Hart, angrily strutting our way. I have to give her credit. You've got to be pretty brave to willingly engage with Annalise when her arms are crossed.

"Do you really have to rub it in Gigi's face?" Rachel snaps, glaring at Peyton and me.

"Rachel, stop," Peyton says softly.

"No. You need to stop. It was bad enough at formal when you were all over each other, which is not a good look, by the way. Now—"

"Rachel, you have four seconds to apologize to Mikaela and leave before I verbally harm you," Annalise interrupts.

Rachel scoffs. "Um, she should be the one—"

"Fuck off, Rachel," Peyton mutters. He laces his fingers through mine. "Ready for history, cutie?"