I'll Do My Best

Phoenix blinked lazily. He didn't remember falling asleep. He did, however, remember where he fell asleep. Phoenix also faintly remembered his conversation with Miles.
His eyes flew open.
Ouch. The sun coming through the window pierced his eyes and made his head throb. He felt like he'd been hit by a truck.
The second truck hit him when he remembered drunkenly snuggling up to Miles.
Wait.
Where was Miles?

Phoenix looked around. He was lying on the sofa, with his jacket as a makeshift blanket.
But no trace of Miles.
He could hear running water. A shower?

He sat up swiftly, blinked, and fell back into the pillows. Nope, not yet, said his body.
Pillows?, he thought. They hadn't been there last night. Miles must have put them there.
What an incredibly sweet gesture coming from someone so emotionally stunted...

Phoenix yawned, stretched, and slowly sat up. On the table in front of him was a glass of water and an aspirin. He gulped both down greedily, hoping for the throbbing in his head to subside.

The running water stopped. Moments later, Miles stepped into the living room. Wearing nothing but a towel.
Phoenix tried to look away, but it was too late. He could feel himself blushing darker than last night's wine.
To his relief, Miles' ears turned slightly pink as well.
Probably wanted to check on me and didn't think I'd be awake, Phoenix thought.

"Heyyy, uhhhhh," Phoenix started. Idiot, he thought. Idiot, idiot, idiot. Say something that makes sense for once.
"Morning!" He forced an innocent grin, eyes glued to Miles' nose. The only thing he could look at right now. Further down, there was a lot of naked skin, and a few inches above the nose, there was Miles' dark hair, dripping wet and pushed back.
Fuck, he's hot.
Hey, stop thinking that!! You've only just become friends again, don't make this awkward!
But... our conversation... last night...

Phoenix shook his head, realizing Miles had said something.
"Huh?"

Miles chuckled.
"I said, 'Morning. Feel free to use my shower, I can also give you some clean clothes if you want.' Not really awake yet, are you?"

Phoenix shook his head.
"Not really. And, uh, thanks." He scratched the back of his head.
"A shower would be nice."

Miles pointed towards the stairs.
"Bathroom's upstairs, second door to the right. I've already put a towel and some spare clothes in there for you, just in case.
In the meantime, I'll make us some breakfast. And, uh, get dressed." His ears were pink again.

Wow, Phoenix thought, how did he handle that so smoothly without making it awkward?

He groggily climbed the impressive stairs - who needs stairs this wide?? - and found the bathroom. Miles had just taken a shower, so it was still warm and steamy... and smelled like him. His soap, his shampoo, his cologne, all the things that made Miles Edgeworth smell so damn good.

Phoenix let the scents surround him, the warmth soothing his aching limbs and joints as he got undressed.
He stood in the hot shower for what felt like an eternity, just letting the water run over him as his body slowly woke up.
Then he dried off and put on Miles' clothes that he had laid out for him. They were way more casual than Phoenix had expected. Sweatpants and a sweater.
The scents surrounded him again as he pulled the sweater over his head, but this time there was something else mixed in. Lavender.

I bet he puts lavender in his closet to ward off moths, Phoenix thought.
Hm, maybe I should do that.

He didn't know if Miles had the kind of hair gel he needed for his signature spikes, so he just dried his hair with the towel and let it do whatever it wanted.

Then, he neatly folded his dirty clothes and, not knowing what to do with them, brought them back downstairs with him and placed them with his jacket and shoes.

The smell of coffee made its way into his conscience, warm and familiar.
But... wasn't Miles more of a tea drinker?

Phoenix entered the kitchen, where Miles was making breakfast.
Miles was wearing something equally casual and comfortable as the stuff he had laid out for Phoenix, but on him, it still looked immaculate.

"That smells amazing," he sighed.

Miles turned around, a small but cheerful smile on his lips.
"Oh, hey, you're done. You were in there for a while, and considering how out of it you were earlier, I almost got worried."

Phoenix blushed again.
"I guess I just needed a really long, piping hot shower. Uh, thanks for the clothes, by the way."

Miles smiled a tiny bit wider.
"Don't mention it. Here, have a seat, it's almost done."
He pointed to a large table that was already filled with fresh fruit, toast, various spreads and jams, tea and coffee. On the stove, eggs were sizzling in a pan.

Phoenix grew more and more confused. Why was Miles suddenly making such an effort for him?
A moment from the night before flashed in his mind. The dark living room, the comfy sofa, and that scent again... and four words: "I'll do my best."

Damn. Miles really was doing his best. He wasn't good at expressing emotions through words, but even he knew how to make someone feel cared for.

Phoenix sat down at the table.
"Why do you even have coffee?" He chuckled. "I thought you only drink tea?"

Miles stayed with his back turned towards Phoenix, focusing on the eggs in the pan. Phoenix thought he could see his ears turning pink again, but it was hard to tell.
"I, uh, I always have some in the house. Just in case. I mean, in case someone, uh, a guest, wants coffee."

Great, thought Phoenix, now I've broken him again. For a lawyer, he really stumbles over his words sometimes.

Miles came over to the table, slipping the eggs from the pan onto two plates before discarding the pan and spatula in the sink.

He took a seat close to Phoenix, but not right next to him. At a safe distance that he hoped would prevent more awkward moments from happening.

The rest of the morning was rather uneventful. Neither of them had to work that day, so they took their time during breakfast, chatting like old friends. They were old friends, after all. They'd just needed to find each other again.
And Phoenix intended to keep his promise.
"I'll wait."