Leonardo's Return

2007 Leo

~~~

You pulled the curtain open slightly, hope rising up in your chest. Sorrow washed over you as the small balcony that was right in front of your window remained empty. You sighed as you pulled the curtains closed.

"Leo’s probably never going to come back," you wiped away a stray tear that escaped from your eye. Two years ago, a close friend had left for a training mission in Central America. His name was Leonardo, and you had a hopeless crush on him. At first you wanted to deny it, considering he was a six foot tall mutant ninja turtle. What it took for you to actually accept your crush on him, was him telling you and his brothers that he was leaving for a year. You had even planned to tell him your feelings for him just before he left, but as you raced towards the lair, you found Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo walking back. Leonardo was not with them.

Mikey smiled sadly at you when you asked where Leo was, “He left, dude.”

"You’re… you’re kidding, right?" Your heart shattered into pieces as Mikey said this.

"Afraid not. Leo had to leave this morning. He wouldn’t have been able to leave until next week otherwise," Donnie placed a hand on your shoulder.

"He didn’t even say goodbye…" you whispered. Donnie hugged you, and you gladly accepted it and started to cry.

"Yeah, Leo has a bad habit of doing stuff like that," Raph stated bitterly. Donnie was quick to scold him.

Over time, things just got worse. Donatello and Raphael started to argue over everything. You felt bad for Mikey, as he and Don were close and would usually come over whenever Leo and Raph fought. Now only Mikey would knock on your window, but it wasn’t very often. Maybe once or twice a month.

You hated going to the lair nowadays. You could feel the tension in the air and Leo’s absence made it worse.

Leo didn’t come back when you expected him to. It made you panic. You were scared that something had happened to him, like he was captured or killed. The thoughts still even creeper into your mind every now and again.

It had been two years since the love of your life left.

You grabbed the curtains once more and pulled them open, knowing Leo wouldn’t be there. But you hoped. Every night you would look out your window. He was never there.

"Why didn’t you say goodbye?" tears rolled down your cheeks and your shoulders began to shake as you fell to your knees, sobbing. You wanted Leo here, you wanted him to hold you, to kiss you, to let you know that he had made it home safe and sound. But no. Leo was probably dead in the jungles of Central America. He would have returned if he was alive.

A sudden knock on your window made you look up. You could barley see him, his soft amber eyes giving his presence away. You scrambled to get the window open.

"Leo," you whispered as he stepped through the window.

"Hey, (Y/N)," Leo smiled at you. A smile came across your face and you threw your arms around him with no hesitation.

"Oh my gosh, I thought you were dead!" You cried. He held you tightly and buried his face in your neck.

"No, no. I wouldn’t die without saying goodbye to you," he rubbed your back and whispered softly in your ear.

"But you didn’t say goodbye when you left…" you choked out, pulling away from him slightly, but he still held you.

Guilt washed over his face as your lip started to quiver and your eyes watered even more, “I know… I feel horrible about not saying goodbye. But… I couldn’t.”

"Why not?" you couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t say goodbye. It only added to the pain.

"I didn’t want to see you cry," Leo placed a hand on your cheek and wiped your eyes gently with his thumb, "But I guess that didn’t work."

You closed your eyes and placed your own hand over his, “Are you back for good?”

"Of course. My brothers don’t know I’m back yet though," Leo put his other arm around your waist.

"You need to go to them," you opened your eyes, just to see Leo gazing at you.

"They can wait one night," Leo pulled you closer, your bodies pressed together, "I wanted to see someone else first."

"Leo…" you felt a blush rise up in your cheeks as the blue clad turtle leaned in and just barely placed his lips on yours. You wrapped you arms around his neck, and kissed him back. Your heart beat wildly against your ribs and butterflies rose up in your stomach.

"I missed you so much," Leo muttered between kisses.

The two of you held onto each other, refusing to let go. You didn’t want him to leave again. Everything was perfect, how you wanted it to be.

"Please don’t leave," you could barely speak as he pulled away.

"I won’t," Leo assured you, rubbing your back. You let your hands rest on his chest and closed your eyes.

"I love you, Leonardo," you said softly.

"I love you too, (Y/N)."

The rest of the night was quiet. You and Leo had curled up under the covers on your bed. He didn’t leave you, he kissed you everywhere, and whispered sweet nothings in your ear. It was bliss, and you couldn’t be happier.

Your love was back, and he wasn’t going to leave you.