Chapter 2

Mia tossed the journal onto her passenger seat, still frowning as she shut herself inside the dingy white van. Lara couldn't have written just one page? Her foot bounced until she brooded enough.

She did have one lead.

Pulling out her wallet, Mia removed the note with the phone number. She prayed that this mystery led somewhere, because her back-up plan required some work.

Hello, do you buy illegal drugs from a Lara Milbourne—no, I'm not a cop.

Her first job started not even three hours ago, and she was already hanging on by a thread as thin as a random phone number.

At least looking into it required little effort since a reverse phone report would provide a name and address. It only took a few clicks. She put her feet on the steering wheel, slumping down into the seat as she read.

Audrey Reed. Late-twenties. 27 Willows St. 401D. Lawyer at Brown&Harris: Interbusiness Attorneys, the business and tax firm.

The address was that of a newly built complex on the north side of Saratoga and the woman owned a 2011 garnet red Shelby Mustang GT500CR classic. Mia searched for a photo, since those words sounded like gibberish. Its looks were as pretentious as its name.

The many headshots showed the woman's bright, charismatic smile lighting up her eyes. Where Mia was told her green eyes always looked guilty of something, Audrey's were convincing and honest, though the accuracy of that last impression was doubtful at best. Audrey was a lawyer, after all.

The woman kept her media professional, as expected. No pictures with Lara, because why would it be that easy?

Mia also searched for the drug dealer's social media. Nothing. She even checked the name Natki, in case it was an online persona. Everything led to a dead end.

She had curled deep into the driver's seat, sliding lower the longer the branching search continued. It didn't take long, but she was still sore when she sat up again.

Why was Lara hiding a lawyer's number? Mia read the message that accompanied it once more.

"I'll have a business card made just for you if you lose this again."

This couldn't be a professional relationship. With Audrey's number being on its own, the woman was surely special.

A secret romance between a lawyer and a drug dealer? That's interesting.

An intrigued smile tugged at Mia's lips, and she looked back at the apartment. This would explain why Lara was so well-off financially. It would be difficult to prosper as a dealer, but if you supplied someone who couldn't let the truth surface... It was nearly cheating.

Mia typed the lawyer's address into her phone but stopped. A thirty-second call would pinpoint an exact location. Her thumb rubbed against the phone's edge as she entered the number. It was worth a try.

How hard could it be?

With one more deep breath, she pushed "Call". The ringing rattled her nerves. It's fine, it's less than a minut-

"Hello?"

"Hello! May I speak with Audrey Reed?"

"Speaking."

"This is... Harriett Biera from Dall Insurance. I'm calling about your auto warranty b-"

Call Ended 0:09.

Mia bit her cheek, staring at the screen. The defeat stung more than she expected. Ears hot as she flipped back onto the GPS app, she reminded herself it was not a total loss and drove to the lawyer's address.