Chapter 3

From a strip mall addition, stuck out a red neon sign that spelled "BAR." With the same tan cement as the other shops, this locale stood out by its dark windows and reflective lights that shone a line of rainbow against the edge meeting the sidewalk. The name, "Vale", hung above the entrance, but no one called it that.

Mia watched Audrey step past the colored lights and into the bar, like nothing had happened earlier that day.

She changed in her van again, jumping into black jeans, a revealing green tank top, and a leather jacket. She was more prepared for this type of scene, far more than for a horse racing track. Next time she'd carry an entire wardrobe in her back seat since this job wanted to be anything but predictable.

Mia hesitated, gripping the car handle as she eyed her gun on the passenger's floor. She would most likely not need it, but if she did... She shoved the firearm into her purse and followed through the heavy doors.

The stuffed air inside clued Mia in that this was a busy night. It took a second to adjust before she headed for the only place with proper lighting: the bar on her right.

"Mia," a cheerful voice greeted from behind the counter, raising over the music. "You want your job back, yeah?"

"No, not today, Jim."

She twitched him a smile, too busy surveying the area. The place was packed, and the dim lighting made everyone that wasn't sitting at the bar blend as one indistinguishable mass. Even an unforgettable face could get lost. This was the worst game of Where's Waldo ever.

Jim clicked his tongue and offered to make a drink, which she also rejected.

"Come on, you're giving me nothing. You here to rub it in?" Jim asked. Mia raised an eyebrow, finally looking at him and he said, "That place up North opened and it cut my business in half. I mean it's only been- "

"Hm, where did you say it is?"

"Up North, Covewood." He leaned over to clarify, then he realized. "You are here to rub it in."

Mia relaxed into a laugh until her eyes landed on Audrey's from across the bar. On Audrey's. She and Audrey made eye contact. The air escaped her lungs.

"Mia?" Jim asked.

"Sorry, let's talk later."

There was a pause. "Okay, don't be a stranger."

Mia offered an exaggerated nod before looking to Audrey again, who wasn't there anymore. She was approaching Mia instead. Fuck.

She knows.

How could she explain being at all the same places today? I'm a big fan?

Once she was close, Audrey tilted her head, smirking.

"I don't bite, you know?"

Mia's hanging mouth closed into pursed lips, and her mind went blank.

What?

"Would you allow me to buy you a drink?" Audrey asked. She leaned a hip against the bar, already signaling for a bartender.

Mia blinked. Oh.

"Yeah, I think I'll allow it." She said the words slowly, feeling them out.

The makeshift plan made her uneasy. Besides drinking and flirting being unprofessional, leading Audrey on was also immoral. It took a split second for the guilt to pass. She was a bounty hunter, after all.