Chapter Ten

I awoke with a start, my body shooting upwards and my heart hammering against my chest. I pushed my hair out of my face, breathing heavily, as I glanced around the room. I was safe, I wasn't back in that room.

I glanced over towards the couch, where Hunter had been sleeping since I came here, only to find him already staring at me in concern. I glanced away as I tried to control my breathing. After my break earlier, Dan asked me a few more routine questions and took pictures of my injuries for evidence. I went to bed not long after, I was exhausted and couldn't stand the pity looks the guys kept sending me.

"You alright darlin?" My heart stuttered at his sleep filled voice, not helping to regulate it. I nodded, bringing my knees up to my chest as I took deep breaths. 

"Yeah, just a nightmare. I'm sorry I woke you." I croaked out, watching as he stood up and made his way over to the bed. My eyes moved over the white shirt that clung to his skin, down to his checkered pajama bottoms. How did he manage to make something so simple look so good?

"There's no need to apologize darlin." He said as he sat down, his hand coming up to run through my hair.

My eyes fell shut, a calm washing over me. He slowly maneuvered me to lay down, his hand never moving from my hair. A small moan escaped me, making my face heat up and my eyes pop open. He stared down at me with a soft smile.

"Feel good?" He hummed, his eyes never moving from mine. I let out a small nod, sending him a small smile as I gazed up at him. His other hand came up to caress my cheek, making my breath hitch. His hands stilled, his smile fading away as he stared at me with the same unreadable expression as before.  He slowly leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on my forehead, my face heated up as my heart started beating furiously in my chest. He pulled back, staring down at me with a soft smile. 

"You're so beautiful." He whispered, making me let out an unladylike snort. I covered my face in embarrassment as his chuckle filled the room. "You sound like you don't believe me." He teased.

"That's because I don't." I mumbled through my hands. "I'm pretty sure I still look like a train wreck."

"You could be covered head to toe in mud, even after a train wreck, and I would still think you were beautiful." He said softly. "Even when you snort." He teased, making my face heat up even more.

"Whatever." I muttered, my hands pressing tighter against my face and muffling the words. I peeked at him through my fingers, blushing more at the grin he was giving me. He pulled his hands away, my lips pulling into a frown as he went to stand. 

"You should get some rest." He said softly, I grabbed his hand before I realized what I was doing. He glanced down at me, his head cocked to the side. "What's with the pout darlin?" He asked, his hand coming to caress my cheek again. My face heated as I glanced away before bringing my gaze back to his. 

"Would you stay beside me?" I whispered. "Just until I fall asleep?" His eyes seemed to brighten as he smiled down at me, quickly nodding. 

"Of course." He said softly, laying down in the bed after I scooted over. One of his hands reached over to grab one of mine, pulling them in between us. The other came up and began running through my hair again, causing my eyes to flutter shut. "This ok darlin?" He whispered. I nodded, a small smile pulled on my lips. 

"So," He started. "Tell me who exactly Rose is." I glanced up at him. "I want anything you're willing to share. Your childhood, your favorite movies, bands, foods. What makes you happy and what makes you tick." I stared at him for a moment before blowing out a breath.

"Umm, I don't know if I could pick favorites. I like a little bit of everything." I admitted. 

"Got any examples?" He questioned softly.

"I like all music, rock would probably have to be my go to. I like musicals, comedy, action. Anything with Robin Williams is always a favorite. What about you?" We continued the questions most of the night until I felt my eyes droop and my brain shut down. 

"Thank you grizz." I mumbled sleepily, my eyes fluttered open as he chuckled softly. 

"Grizz?" He asked in amusement, a soft smile on his face. 

"Mhm, you remind me of a grizzly bear." I whispered, my eyes fluttering shut again.

"How's that?" He whispered the question. I felt my lips pull into another smile, fighting the sleep that was trying to pull me under. 

"You're big, hairy, and gruff sounding. Like a grizzly bear." I explained in a mumble. "And apparently very cuddly." He let out another low chuckle. 

"Oh darlin, you ain't seen nothing yet." His voice came out in a soft murmur. I hummed in response before I felt sleep take me over.