Chapter Twenty

It had been a few days since our town adventure and today was the day we were heading back home to settle things. Lisa and I didnt have much luck in finding a place, so we decided to take Hunter up on his offer to stay. Lisa was more than eager to start her new job, and to be honest, I wasn't complaining.

Hunter gave me a soft, saddened, smile as I came out of the bathroom.

"I'm not going away forever." I teased. "We should be back within a week."

He rolled his eyes playfully, winding his arm around my waist and pulling me to him. "Are you sure I can't send a couple of the guys with you?"

My arms wound around his neck. "I appreciate the offer, but I don't want to disrupt their work. Arthur's got his computer stuff, Mak has work, Ace and Jai are trying check more on the bar, and you have a stack of papers on your desk you've been eyeing for days. We can handle a few boxes."

"Jackson doesn't have plans." He offered. I let out a snort.

"Jackson likes to blow things up." I reminded.

He gave me a lopsided smile. "You never know when his talent might come in handy."

My lips twitched into a small smile. "Alright. We can ask Jackson, but only if he wants to go."

He sent me a beaming grin before dipping his head and locking our lips in a heated kiss.

A few hours, and many breathless kisses, later we were loaded up and on our way.

"So, what's your alls thoughts on snacks. Because this guy is hungry." Jackson's head popped up in between our seats. 

"We literally just ate lunch before we left." I reminded him.

"And, I can still see the house in the rearview mirror." Lisa added.

"Car rides make me hungry." He said with a goofy grin and a shrug.

I let out a laugh, glancing over at Lisa. "It probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and fill up the car. We can grab some snacks from the gas station."

Lisa glanced over at Jackson, whose head was now perched on the shoulder of her seat. Her mouth pulled into a grin at his pleading face. "Oh, alright."

By the time we pulled into the gas station, I was grateful for Jackson's snack craving. Apparently drinking two glasses of sweat tea before we left hadn't been my best decision.

Lisa stayed in the car as Jackson and I went inside. Jackson was quick to start grabbing things, his arms half full before I even made it to the restroom door. I giggled as I watched a little girl stare at him with wide eyes.

I noticed Jackson was no longer in the store when I came out, so I quickly grabbed a few drinks and paid for the gas.

As I pushed the door open to step outside, an arm latched onto my own and jerked my body to the side of the building. The drinks fell from my hands at the movement.

My vision blurred for a moment as the hand spun me around quickly, my back slammed into the side of the brick wall. My body froze as murky brown eyes met my own.

Jacob. He was here. I quickly tried to pull my arm from his hold, my feet turning to run back in the direction of the gas pumps.

The thought to yell for Jackson crossed my mind, but as I opened my mouth Jacob's hand slammed over it roughly.

"I have the right mind to gut you right here." He hissed, his body looming over mine. My heart was beating loudly in my ears. "Here's what's going to happen. You're going to come with me, without putting up a fight. If you don't cooperate, I'll shoot everyone here. Do you understand?"