19

they had all abandoned the game and were now gathered on a video call, displayed for the park siblings on jisung's laptop. 

"jaemin, turn your camera on!" jeno urged, eager to have everyone present.

"i'm supposed to be sleeping," jaemin whispered, make up an excuse. "you guys talk, and i'll listen."

he also muted himself, so as to not let his silent cries be heard. he told himself that it was his fault for not making his feelings towards aera clearer, and that it was his fault for not telling aera in the first place.

i don't deserve her, he reminded himself. donghyuck can give her everything i can't.

on the other end, donghyuck grappled with his own guilt. he'd gotten a feeling that jaemin may have also liked aera, and that he often put others before himself. he couldn't shake the feeling that he had taken advantage of jaemin's selflessness, realizing how often jaemin had sacrificed for others without hesitation. recollections flooded donghyuck's mind: 

when he got his lunch money stolen, so jaemin gave him his.

when chenle couldn't attend his classes due to his fever, so jaemin attended instead and took notes for him.

when mark felt uncomfortable in his tank top, so jaemin gave him his hoodie, despite it being freezing. 

when jisung had a full on panic attack, so jaemin missed his final exams to take care of him.

when renjun was waitlisted for the dance team audition, so jaemin give up his own spot for him. 

when jeno was getting beat up, so jaemin fought the bullies off, despite ending up in the hospital.

it dawned on donghyuck that nearly everything jaemin did was for the benefit of others, never for himself. and at that moment, donghyuck was starting to regret what he did. he couldn't help but to think of himself as a bad person, a bad friend

he was knocked out of his thoughts when chenle clapped really loudly. "who asked who out and when?" he nearly shouted, needing the others to quiet him down. 

the attention turned to aera, who timidly admitted, "well, donghyuck asked me out today..." 

mark's laughter filled the virtual space, accompanied by applause. "finally! dude's had a crush on you since forever!"

"not forever," donghyuck grumbled, cheeks flushing.

renjun's incredulous scoff cut through the air. "as if eleven years isn't forever."

donghyuck's threatening tone betrayed his irritation. "renjun, i'm coming over just to smack you."

suddenly, jaemin's shaky voice broke the moment. "guys, i have to go." without waiting for anyone to say bye, he abruptly ended the call.

jeno followed suit, his quick "bye" leaving the rest of them bewildered and perplexed by the sudden departures.