22

jaemina
can u come to the cafe w me

jenojams
yea but why

jaemina
i don't wanna catch aera alone..

jenojams
o ok yeah i'll come

jaemina
thx

jenojams
ofc dude

_____

within ten minutes, jeno was parked in front of jaemin's house, ready to give him a ride to the coffee shop.

as they strolled along the sidewalk toward their destination, jaemin caught sight of aera and donghyuck engaged in lively conversation, and suddenly, his usual craving for coffee dissipated.

but just as he was about to reach for jeno's shirt sleeve, his friend had already opened the door, ringing the bell and announcing their arrival.

aera and donghyuck turned their heads toward the bell and greeted them warmly.

on a different day, jaemin would have greeted her his usual way; by smiling very widely and waving. but today was different. he was desperately trying to hide behind jeno's broader body while still trying to keep his feelings about the new couple on the down-low.

"you guys can join us if you like," donghyuck said to the two.

jeno knew jaemin would rather not linger, especially in what felt like his personal hell. so, he quickly made up an excuse about needing to study.

aera understood, as she was also living the same college student lifestyle. "can i get you guys anything, though?"

jeno placed his order, but before jaemin could, aera gave him a gentle smile, one that never failed to stir something within him. "i already know what you want," she said softly as she rang him up.

jaemin found himself at a loss for words, whether from flustered embarrassment or from the prying eyes of donghyuck, he couldn't tell. if he had to guess, it would have to be because of the latter.

awkwardly, he managed a smile, offering a quick "thank you" before attempting to distance himself from donghyuck's gaze.

but the grape-headed man was not aware of jaemin's actions due to his attention remaining fixed on aera and her perfection.

and he watched as she perfectly poured the coffee into the cup, as she perfectly topped the latte off with foam, as she perfectly spread the cream cheese across the bagel, as she perfectly handed everything to the other two, and she perfectly waved them off when they were leaving the cafe.

everything about her is perfect.

-

once the two friends were back in the car, jeno looked at jaemin with a raised eyebrow.

"what?"

"does she know you hate strawberries?"

does she? jaemin wondered. no, definitely not.

he didn't have the heart to tell her, though. he knew she enjoyed making him that bagel every time he came in. who was he to ruin her happiness? besides, her intentions were pure; all she wanted was for him to eat.

as he explained this to jeno, his friend understood completely. knowing jaemin, it was a typical thing for him to do, and jeno didn't have the heart to suggest that he tell aera about his food preferences.

but he did have the stomach. "i'll eat the bagel if you don't want it," he offered, holding out his hand.

suddenly, jaemin furrowed his brows, crinkling his forehead and scowling as he pulled his food closer to him. "my bagel."

jeno laughed at his friend's possessiveness. he knew jaemin would rather choke down some strawberries before giving it up to him. "alright buddy, let's go."