Such A Long Day

Chapter 13: Such A Long Day

(Liam’s Point of View)

                Louis is kissing Harry for probably the only other time he’s kissed him, but yet again it’s in front of a crowd. Luckily, this time the crowd is small and not full of paparazzi. Though, unluckily, this small crowd happens to be our management team.

                Richard Griffiths, head of the table, clears his throat and Harry and Louis break apart. The man sighs while rubbing his temples. ‘Look,’ he says dejectedly, ‘I don’t actually care if you two are together or not. I really don’t have a problem with you being gay. If I did, my daughter and her girlfriend would hate me.’

                We all stare at him confused before Louis asks, ‘But, then, why-?’

                Richard interrupts, ‘I was just seeing how you would react to possible hate.’ He shrugs nonchalantly while the other two men, Will Bloomfield and Harry Magee, just chuckle a bit. ‘That wasn’t a good reaction, better than being torn apart and spiraling into a deep depression, but you can’t just go and snog Harry any time somebody says they don’t like it.’

                Louis’ mouth drops open while he stutters incoherently, Harry blushes while glancing at the ground, and the rest of us boys laugh. ‘He does have a good point.’ Zayn states between chuckles.

                ‘True. You would probably have your mouth sewed to Harry’s with the amount of times you’ll end up kissing him just in spite of the hateful words.’ I add while glancing at Zayn and Niall. Both of them look relieved that our manager doesn’t exactly hate gays, considering the two are secretly dating.

                ‘But, I, what?’ Louis manages.

                ‘Honestly, Lad, I don’t hate you. I don’t think you’re disgusting.” Richard says.

                ‘Then why call this meeting?” Harry retorts, bewildered.

                ‘Well, just because I don’t mind that you guys are together, doesn’t mean it will be allowed in public. Bearing in mind how you reacted to hate, I think it’s fair to say that you can’t come out yet. Besides, you two haven’t been together long, have you?’

                ‘Not really-‘ Louis starts before being interrupted by Richard again.

                ‘Yes, exactly. We called you here to have you lot take a look at these contracts you’re going to have to sign and we’re also going to have to come up with a cover story. I’ll call for some coffee to be delivered while you all go over the contracts.’  With that, Richard leans over and picks up the phone and we all begin reading the contracts Bloomfield and Magee handed to us.

                The contract is really long and much worded. There is this list of things Harry and Louis cannot do in public and there’s a whole entire three-paged section dedicated to beards. There are even 5 pages of what us band-mates can and cannot say/do in public. It was right as there was a knock on the door when Louis looks up and exclaims, ‘What the hell? This is 18 pages of WHAT THE FUCK.’

                Looking at him shocked, Richard replies, ‘Excuse me?’

                ‘Seriously, you can’t expect me to follow this bullshit. My ex-girlfriend thought she was a beard and was extremely hurt by just the thought; I’m not going to put somebody through that. Besides, I shouldn’t need a beard. Neither of us should. This is fucking stupid. And what’s this? No touching in public? For Christ’s Sakes, he’s my best friend; I’m obviously going to touch him. Oh! And I can’t even fucking tweet him? The fuck is that? We obviously banter over Twitter, always have, and it’s going to be really fucking obvious if we just suddenly stop after a kiss in public. Oh, they kissed: what a shame! Honestly, nobody will believe we aren’t together if we follow this list. And our friends can’t mention seeing us together out of professional occasions? We can’t even be seen together on our days off? Like I said, we’re best friends, we’re going to be hanging out, just like always. We shouldn’t have to try so hard to hide something that isn’t “real”, if you get what I’m trying to say.’ Louis explains heatedly.