prologue

Darkness.

That's what it was, wasn't it?

Feasibly, it had the off chance of being overwhelming light.

Wrong. 

Pure unsettling black. The earnestness of its kind. A tinge of the fuzzy swampy array of color, all in the same withering hue. Similarly in shade. Not one human being could decipher each from each. 

As was that, unnerving. I felt it all through the lifeless, dotted sprinkles of my limbs. The tingle of an asleep body part, except times ten and it hurt. A slight glaze of clear panic, and in the heap of that swirling pit of destruction; alarms screamed at me in bliss. Pleading in the side of utter, soundly tranquility. The core of settled relaxation amongst the chaos.

Two opposite on different facets of the spectrum. They fought, arguing which side should take over. A brawl of blood and tear shed, back and forth, forth and back. It happened to last. My shock held the crippling aftermath of the bickering.

Cold, freezing, and stiff. Way too much in its abundance that it could be of this world. A tangent smell in the frigid airs, traveling. Not nostalgic enough to be saltwater, this smelt rigid. Fresh in chemicals. All the way from the tip of my nose through the canals of my fickle lungs, oxygenating the blood. That was weird, the lowered temperature made way for nothingness but a stench peaked through.

I tuned in the simulating abyss.

The strangers conversed back and forth, not one of them recognizable. Differing tones, pitches. Some rushed, and others no place to be. Again a gritty competition, a dance between two artful devils. They talked and talked on, conversing, all clashing in juxtaposition. Perhaps it was a choir, a group of singing voices. Showcasing the side of the bliss. But no, they weren't caroling, they were doing something entirely out of the box. Muttering gibberish between themselves, between the group. They understood themselves it seemed.

I wished I could.

How many were there here with me? Two? Maybe a hundred. They certainly weren't here in being. It seemed not with me, if they were with me why couldn't I see their faces?

The lot of them were unknown outsiders, but one. The panicked one was familiar. They stood out, louder than the rest, taunting for my stolen attention. But they two were fading, at a quicker pace than the rest. I wanted to hang onto the comfort it gave me, understanding it was the only thing that made sense in the cluster. 

I know that voice...

Nothingness, a looming funk, and quite displaced voices.

Flickering dots begin to fade in, abyss opposing. Right above me, a bright all-shining light. So golden it seemed as empty, floaty, and flared. That beam didn't aid my lack of understanding, frustrated at my lump of uncontained flesh. Ungreased limbs, stuck in place, in need of oil to move this rusted turn of wheels. 

This was it— wasn't it? All I was promised coming to a head.    

-- -