Chapter 3 - Making Amends

Anakin knows that he should be focusing on the Council meeting – the Chancellor had wanted him to lead the campaign against Grievous – but his mind keeps wandering to the discussion he needs to have with Obi-Wan afterwards. "Palpatine thinks General Grievous is on Utapau. We have had no reports of this from our agents," Mundi states.

"How could the Chancellor have come by this information and we know nothing about it? We have had contact with Baron Papanoida, and he said no one was there," agrees Windu.

"A partial message was intercepted in a diplomatic packet from the Chairman of Utapau," Anakin explains. The weirdness of the situation isn't lost on him. It feels surreal to be here, in the Council chambers and on the Council. Part of him can't believe this really happened, but it's a pointless gesture which has no meaning, because it doesn't give him the ability to locate anything which could help Padme. Well, Obi-Wan can assist him with that now.

"Act on this, we must," declares Yoda, who is present via hologram. "The capture of General Grievous will end this war. Quickly and decisively we should proceed."

"Does everyone agree?" Obi-Wan queries, looking around the room. Murmurs of agreement and nods sweep the room, so Anakin decides it's probably time for him to tell them what the Chancellor wants. Now that part of the situation has been taken out of his hands, he's much less stressed. He should have talked to Obi-Wan immediately, if he's being honest. And he really doesn't want to leave Coruscant right now.

"The Chancellor has requested that I lead the campaign," Anakin informs them with little enthusiasm. He has to tell them, but that doesn't mean he has to like it.

Anakin senses the ripple of annoyance and uncertainty in the room. "The Council will make up its own mind who is to go, not the Chancellor," Windu announces.

"Yes, this decision is ours to make," Mundi concurs.

"I know," Anakin responds, inwardly glad that they didn't immediately agree. Maybe they don't trust his abilities, but right now, he has to stay with Padme to keep her safe, so nothing happens to her.

"A Master is needed, with more experience," Yoda advises.

"Given our resources, I recommend we send only one Jedi: Master Kenobi." Windu's words send Anakin spiraling back down into his previous panic though he struggles to reign it in, so they won't sense it. No. Obi-Wan has to stay here with him because he's supposed to help make sure that Padme and the child stay safe, and he can't do that if he's gone!

Obi-Wan looks at Anakin silently, before turning back to the Council. Trust me, his gaze says, and Anakin has no choice but to comply as he clenches his mechanical hand to keep himself grounded. "I think that my place is here," Obi-Wan interjects leaning back in his seat. "I have reason to suspect that Dooku was telling the truth about the Sith Master being in the Senate, and that the Sith is now targeting Anakin."

A bomb could have exploded right outside the window, and Anakin doesn't think anyone would have noticed if their stunned and worried expressions are anything to go by. "Do you have proof of these allegations?" Windu demands.

"Not directly," Obi-Wan admits, "But it's something I was hoping to investigate. I need to remain here. It's what the Force wants," he adds when no one seems ready to agree.

"Hmm, speaking the truth Obi-Wan is," Yoda finally informs them. "Go to Utapau instead you should Windu."

The tense silence is almost too much for Anakin to bear, before Windu nods. "Very well, I can prepare two clone brigades to leave tomorrow if the Council agrees."

"I concur," Mundi says finally, and the other slowly voice their consent.

Anakin lets out a quiet sigh of relief at the knowledge that Obi-Wan will be staying here where Anakin needs him. The rest of the meeting passes quickly, and soon, they're leaving the Council chambers. Obi-Wan falls in step next to Anakin as they walk down the halls, mindful of the nearby Jedi.