Chapter 6 - Closure

Anakin's heart is pounding when they get the report from Windu that Grievous has been killed. This is it. They have to go and get Palpatine to relinquish his power, and if he refuses, there will likely be war. Artoo is going with them, so that he can hack into the security recordings and store the live footage, which Anakin ordered him to deliver to Padme at any costs. The droid is also supposed to preventing any outgoing communications when they're there, since they don't know what kind of plans Sidious might have.

Obi-Wan gives Anakin a searching look, before resting a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "It'll be fine," he assures him. "If Palpatine doesn't surrender, then we'll defeat him." He sounds so certain, so confident. Anakin wishes he had that courage. This is his destiny. By defeating the Sith Lord who orchestrated the war, he'll be able to save the Republic.

"Come," urges Fisto, who is joining them. Shaak Ti stands silently on the other side of the room. The four of them will be going to the Senate to speak to the Chancellor together, and if worst comes to worst, they'll destroy him together.

No one speaks as they board a shuttle which Anakin flies to the Senate building, still struggling to control his mounting anxiety. This was not how he'd expected anything to go. Before leaving, he'd secretly commed Padme and told her to stay secure inside her apartment and not leave unless Artoo instructed her to. He'd made her promise that if he failed to destroy Sidious, she'd immediately flee Coruscant and go into hiding to protect their children.

Anakin can feel the tenseness in the Force as he leads the group into the Chancellor's office. Palpatine looks at them in surprise. "Anakin, it's good to see you. Has there been news from the front?"

"Actually, yes, Chancellor," Obi-Wan speaks up. "Master Windu has defeated General Grievous. The war is over, and it is time for you to give your emergency powers back to the Senate."

Palpatine regards him calmly without the slightest hint of uncertainty. "Master Kenobi, I am sure you understand that the war is not yet over. The Separatist council still remains at large, and they have other generals and admirals who can lead their forces. The war is not yet over."

Anakin narrows his eyes, the Force thrumming through him. "No, Chancellor. The war is over." He squares his shoulders, hand falling on the hilt of his lightsaber. "You have held your emergency powers for long enough."

"Why are you doing this, my boy?" queries Palpatine, the confusion, bordering on betrayal, momentarily making Anakin waver. But no. Padme won't die. Ahsoka was telling the truth. They're all counting on him to do the right thing, much as it may hurt.

"Because I have learned the truth." Anakin's voice is quiet, "And I now wonder if I was wrong, if Darth Plagueis was a real person... your master, perhaps?" It makes sense now that he thinks about it, and he's not sure how he could have missed it earlier.

"What is this about?" the Chancellor demands, glaring at them all with suspicion.

"In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under arrest, Chancellor," declares Shaak Ti stepping forward. "You are being accused of being the Sith Lord Darth Sidious who started the war with the sole purpose of founding a Sith Empire."

Palpatine just laughs. "This is madness." He shakes his head, looking desperately at Anakin. "Surely you cannot believe them?"

"I follow the will of the Force," Anakin answers harshly, "And it is telling me right now that you are not as innocent as you claim to be. The Senate will decide your fate."

"I am the Senate!" snaps Palpatine, standing suddenly, anger contorting his features. "After all the things I have done for you, this is how you repay me? By collaborating with these Jedi traitors who are attempting to seize control of the Republic? I thought more highly of you than to do something like this." The disappointment is almost too much for Anakin to bear, and he looks desperately at Obi-Wan, searching for strength.