Chapter 5 - Chancellor Sidious

Anakin was less than enthusiastic about going to the Chancellor's office, but as his official representative, he knows he needs to. He can't avoid Palpatine all day; that's too big a risk, especially if he is the Sith Lord. So, with great reluctance and no small amount of uncertainty, he finds himself entering the Senate, equipped with a tiny, invisible camera attached to his robes.

"I was surprised that Master Kenobi was not sent," Palpatine declares after greeting him. "We can only hope that the Council did not make a mistake. You were the best candidate for the job."

"The Council was sure of its decision," Anakin replies, shrugging slightly. "Master Windu is an excellent duelist, so I imagine that if anyone can defeat Grievous alone, he can."

The conversation is shelved when a delegation of Senators is announced. Anakin steps to the back of the room, the late afternoon sun filtering in the windows as the group enters, led by Padme. They express their misgivings, while Palpatine listens silently. Anakin doesn't even try to understand everything which they're discussing. Politics is not his forte.

"I understand your reservations completely, Senator, and I assure you the appointment of Governors will in no way compete with the duties of the Senate," the Chancellor assures Padme, smiling kindly at her.

"May I take it then, that there will be no further amendments to the Constitution?" Padme demands, her politician's mask firmly in place. She knows she might be talking to a Sith Lord, and Anakin is proud of her courage. She doesn't even bat an eye or show the slightest hint of wariness. If only he was as good as she is.

"I want this terrible conflict to end as much as you do, My Lady, and when it does, I guarantee an immediate return to democracy," Palpatine promises. The Force prickles with a warning of something, and Anakin stiffens slightly, but instantly forces himself to relax.

"You are pursuing a diplomatic solution to the war, then," Padme states, eyes narrowed.

"You must trust me to do the right things, Senator. That is why I am here," he replies firmly. His tone indicates that the conversation is at an end. Somehow, Anakin gets the impression that raising the issue right now was not the best decision, but the Force is vague as to why exactly that's the case. Much as he hates to admit it, he's beginning to think that Obi-Wan is right. If Palpatine isn't the Sith, then someone else near him is.

"But surely –" begins another Senator, cutting himself off when Palpatine looks at him. Based on his reaction, Anakin expects that he's aware of the suspicions.

"I have said I will do what is right, that should be enough for your... committee." There's nothing but finality in his voice when he speaks.

Padme gives Anakin a look which is equal parts frustrated and concerned before she speaks again. "On behalf of the Delegation of Two Thousand, I thank you, Chancellor."

"I thank you for bringing this to my attention, Senator," he replies kindly as the Senators make their way out of his office. Anakin tries to keep his senses as open as possible without tipping off the Sith, but though they're tingling with warning – which come to think of it might not be all that unusual when he's with Palpatine. Strange – he can't sense anything specific. It's completely aggravating. He wishes the Force could give more helpful advice sometimes.

"Their sincerity is to be admired, although I sense there is more to their request than they are telling us," the Chancellor murmurs after they're gone.

Anakin frowns, the warnings growing louder. "What do you mean?"

"They are not to be trusted," Palpatine elaborates.