Chapter 5

Meredith was late. She was late on her first freaking day. She had reached Roseridge later than planned because of the guy from the previous night and then Ellis had been difficult about taking her meds so she had had to stay longer.

She rushed through the hospital, drawing more attention than she did last time. She had to be there in time for the announcements or Alex would never let her live it down. She managed to find the auditorium by a stroke of luck and entered in the middle of Richard's speech.

Now standing in a room full of people she didn't know, her nerves finally had the time to act up. Most people who had turned to look at her had turned their attention back to Richard by now. Her eyes roamed the room and briefly paused on a group of what she assumed were interns who she had seen last night.

Just then, some rather obnoxious waving caught her eye and she turned to look in the direction it came from. She felt her face break out into a broad grin as she spotted the familiar figure of Mark Sloan in Seattle. Suddenly, everything that had scared her a minute before became a whole lot more funny.

Mark had always had that effect on her, he made her confident. Suddenly she was aware that she was Meredith freaking Grey and she was going to be the Chief of Surgery and kick ass! Before she even had time to ponder Mark's appearance, she heard her name basing announced and walked up the podium to Richard.

She smiled at Richard and turned to the rest of the room to give the speech apparently expected from her. Her confidence was clear as she looked at the faces turned towards her and began.

"Hello everyone. I'm Meredith Grey and I'm going to be your new Chief of surgery. Dr. Webber here has made Seattle Grace a leading hospital and I look forward to getting to know it better and improve it further."

She finished fast, knowing no surgeon had patience for a drawn out speech. She glanced again at Mark as Richard began telling everyone to go back to work and found herself staring at the guy from this morning.

"Crap" she muttered to herself as she suddenly realised he was one of the employees.

000

The moment Richard told everyone they were dismissed, Addison immediately turned toward Mark and gave him a whack on his head.

"You know Meredith Grey?" She rounded on him as he rubbed the sore spot on his head "how the hell have you kept it a secret that you know Meredith Grey?"

Bailey sat there looking between the attendings, her own curiosity piqued. Derek stared at Mark waiting for an answer.

"Oh I've known Mer for years." He answered airily as he got up to go and meet Meredith who was coming towards the group.

Addison and Derek followed him and she now turned on Derek to demand answers. "And you. Don't pretend you didn't know her. I saw your reaction when she came in." But thankfully before Derek could answer, they found themselves in front of Webber and Meredith.

Meredith quickly reached in to hug Mark and said "what're you doing in Seattle, Marky?"

Mark shot her a boyish grin and answered "A little birdy told me someone had been offered Chief of Surgery."

Meredith rolled her eyes and answered "Alex called you didn't he."

"We were just having a regular old conversation and imagine my surprise when he told me that you were leaving Boston for Seattle. I'm hurt you didn't tell me."

"Maybe it's because I knew you'd stalk me to the other side of the country." She retorted.

Mark barked out a laugh, but before he could respond, Webber interrupted. "You know Mark?" He asked, turning to Meredith.