Chapter 6

Meredith followed Richard to his - now her -office. Mark was walking beside her and talking animatedly about something stupid one of his colleague in New York had done while Richard pointed out things he hadn't shown her the previous evening. Meredith's thoughts, however, were on a certain neurosurgeon.

The group soon made it to her office and Mark left, saying he needed to find some scrubs for himself and Addie. She entered the office and saw some packed boxes she assumed belonged to Richard and helped him move them.

"So Richard, who was that man, the head of Neuro?" She asked as casually as she could.

"Derek? He just joined Grace a few weeks ago from a Private Practice in New York with Addison and Mark. I've known Derek and Addie since they were interns, I was their attending and I offered Derek a job when the position for head of neuro opened up." Richard then got a mischievous look in his eye. "And I knew that with a nudge, Addie and Mark would come to Seattle, too. Though I suppose I didn't expect them to accept their offers so soon but I guess I have you and Mark to thank for that."

Meredith gave a small laugh. "That's quite a number of new hires, your board must be happy."

"Well of course I had to make this a Meredith Grey worthy hospital." He smiled "And I suppose I should leave you to get settled."

"Thanks Richard" she said as he exited her new office, leaving her alone.

She looked outside the office windows to the catwalk and the people walking by and turned back to face her cluttered desk. She picked up her phone and called the first number on speed dial.

"How was it?" She heard Alex's voice as a greeting.

"Hello to you too." She answered with a small smile on hearing him.

"Well? Was it good?" Alex continued impatiently.

"It was...good I guess." She responded slowly. "And you told Mark!" She suddenly accused as she remembered she was mad at him.

"Er..yeah. I didn't realise you hadn't told him and I kinda let it slip." He said slightly sheepishly "how do you know anyways? Finally decided to call him?" He added, regaining his attitude.

"No. Apparently all my friends are idiots who aren't particularly good at communicating. I know because he's in Seattle!" She huffed in exasperation.

"Mark surprised you in Seattle? Did not see that coming." Alex chuckled into the phone.

"He didn't just surprise me, he's actually taken a job here. In Seattle."

"Mark I'll-live-and -die-in-New York Sloan is moving to Seattle? Damn."

"Yes, well, I have bigger problems to deal with right now." She sighed and collapsed into her chair.

"Oh what did you do now?" He asked in an amused tone.

"Hey! Don't say it like that. I get into way less trouble than you Mr. Bar brawler." Alex was notorious for getting testy when drunk.

"Shut up. What's up now?"

"So I kinda had a one night stand with this guy and he's apparently a doctor at the hospital." She finally muttered.

"You slept with a resident?" He assumed it had been a resident, considering Mer's type and their age. "The whole student teacher thing. Hot." He laughed.

"No it wasn't a resident." Meredith scowled in annoyance.

"Older man Grey? Good for you." He continued to chuckle.