||CHAPTER 9

They quickly and carefully trekked through the forest. Wangui's mind was racing. She couldn't stop wondering whatever it was that had Ngare so angry. Though she had an idea. It had to be unwelcome visitors. Though she couldn't figure out what calibre.

It took them a while before Ngare stopped and started pacing. Wangui understood that. It meant the visitors were just a few metres away. She watched like a hawk and listened. She heard muffled voices. There were men in the vicinity. The trio had also figured that. They readied themselves and stood on alert.

Wangui opted to face the men alone but Gitahi was not taking no for an answer. He wanted to be with her. It took a while before she gave in and let him join her. Ndegwa stayed back with Njeri to watch out in case danger was lurking behind the shadows. The couple matched forward. Bows in hand and arrows nocked. They were ready to fight.

When they approached a clearance, they were a little shocked to see the number of warriors standing in front of them. They were more than fifty of them. All from the chiefdom.

"May I help you?" she asked them politely. It was a way to deceive them. Show them that perhaps she was scared of their large number.

They eyed her for a while which was obvious before they heard a growl. It captured their attention immediately. Ngare was not in the mood for a pep talk. He already wanted to pounce on them but he couldn't as long as Wangui didn't ask him to. Then Gitahi caught their eye. It confused them all the more.

"My chief," they all bowed in respect.

They did not understand how their chief ended up there with the beauty and the beast. For the foolish, they would think he was returning home from his journey. But for the clever, they could see that he wasn't in a hurry to leave. Neither did he look like someone who had been on a journey.

"May I know the whatever has brought you here?" he asked in a low command.

"My chief, your father's orders. We have to search for the witch who put a curse on the chiefdom. He wants her executed and their body taken back as evidence," their leader answered.

His words made Wangui shift in anger. She didn't quite understand how a chief, wise as considered, would want to kill the only person who has protected his chiefdom. Perhaps he felt a little threatened or his pride was far too big the even show a little appreciation. Gitahi on the other hand cringed at the thought of Wangui being executed. That was something he would never allow even if it meant giving up his life for it. He eyed the determined warrior before breaking into a mockery laugh. It puzzled Wangui even though it earned him a grin from her. He was thinking of a diabolical plan.

"Why does he want her dead?" he asked.

"We do not know," their leader continued to speak for them.

"Did he not tell you?" he asked firmly leaving no place for lies.

"No, my chief," their leader answered sincerely.

Gitahi hated it that his father was diabolical enough to even scheme while on his death bed. He didn't understand why he wanted her dead and he wanted to it. If it was because of his renowned hatred towards them then he would publicly admit that his father was indeed very thoughtless; a fool to be precise. But if that wasn't the case, he wanted to know the real reason behind it.

"How much exactly does your father hate us?" Wangui asked in anger.

"Very much as you can see," Gitahi responded in a low tone matching that of Wangui. "The old man is a fool to not see that the one thing he hates too much is the same thing that has kept the chiefdom safe from the dreadful tribe. If it wasn't for her, you would probably be awaiting his fifth message and then, an attack from who knows which side," he ranted loudly.