||CHAPTER 10

Wangui trudged back with a heavy heart. The magnitude at which she was already missing him was heavy. She thought missing her mother was the deal until she met him. She missed him with every fibre of her body. He had become vital in her life and she needed him to come back as fast as he could. She couldn't take it if he stayed away too much.

As she made each step back home, she decided that it was time the pesky man-eaters met their doom. She felt as if they were too sluggish to make their move. Dealing with them would give her a perfect distraction. She couldn't think of Gitahi too much. The problem is that she didn't know where they lived. But that could easily be solved. She would command one of the five messengers to take her back to their territory once she met them the following day.

She didn't care how long it would take her to get there and return. She told herself that perhaps upon her return, she would find Gitahi waiting for her. She would be happy if that happened. Though she would be happier if she had him and the head of the crude master in her hands. It would be a peaceful moment and the only thing she would have to worry about was their return to the village.

"I'm thinking of using the fifth band to take me back to their master," she blurted.

The couple beside her stared at her with puzzled looks.

"Why is that so?" Ndegwa asked curiously.

"I feel as if I cannot wait for their attack. They haven't been hastening and it's getting to my patience. The fast I get the head of their master the better," she responded. "He needs to pay for the mistake of coveting what's mine."

Njeri breathed a sigh of disagreement. So did Ndegwa. Wangui was not okay at all. She was going on a suicide mission as a way to keep her distracted. Something they were not going to entertain. Facing the man-eaters with an army of three was absurd. She knew they were in large numbers and if she wanted to defeat them, they needed to sit and come up with a brilliant strategy before making a move.

"But Wangui, the tribe has increased in numbers. They have joined forces with the defeated chiefdoms. It would not be wise to face them on our own. And even if you used your power on them, it would kill you for they are way too many," Njeri reasoned.

Wangui understood that sensible explanation. Though she couldn't help herself. She didn't know of anything else that could keep her mind distracted. The man-eaters were a challenge that she was willing to bet on. But she wasn't thinking of the consequences. Of everything that could go wrong because of her rushing. She could endanger all of them and even lose them in the chaos.

"I have to join hands with her, Wangui," Ndegwa gave his input. "We may have the extra power but to take them would mean to use it to the extreme. You do know that never ends well. I would hate to see a broken Gitahi begging me to give him good news when there are none to give. Or worse have him begging the cruel earth for answers. Remember, he wants to come back and find you as you are or even better. Not wounded, weak or worse--" Njeri interrupted.

"Shut up!" Ndegwa snapped his mouth shut.

They spoke of his return. A return she never knew when it would happen. She wished a thousand times that it would be sooner than later. Later would probably get her crazy for overthinking. 

"What do you think I should do if not focus on that pesky tribe?" she asked hating that her friends made more sense than her rush idea.

"You breathe in and out, relax and try to think calmly. Tomorrow, we will face the last band and we need to think of how we will get the message they have and what their next move is," he told her.

"I have to say that he is right," Njeri said.

Wangui did as Ndegwa asked then huffed. She was going to let herself bid to their instructions. She would follow their lead as she needed it. If they left her alone she would probably scheme things and do them only to regret everything later. Her mother never taught her that but seeing the love of her life leave did and not teach her that.