CHAPTER : 4 - CHOSEN

Chapter : 4 - Chosen

"Do you feel any pain?" My dad asked me slightly massaging the other side of my head as I stared at the cream tiled floor of the hospital.

Pain. After years of existence in the world, I still couldn't exactly define what pain was. Was it something I felt at the contact of the brass frame on my temple, or something I felt at the left side of my chest, when you left me with aunt years ago? What is it papa?

What is this pain, exactly? Feeling something? or just, not able to feel anything? What is it? Because now, I can't think of anything to answer. If feeling nothing is pain, I'd say I'm in pain.

"No." I said.

"I know. I know love, you are the strongest." He pecked the side of my head and I kept staring down.

I know I am strong papa. I've heard you say a million times maybe? Since I was a kid. Do you actually believe I am strong or is it the only way you found to keep me away?
What is it papa?

The only thing about being strong is, no one would hold your hand. Right? Isn't it why you never held me? When I was scared? Because I was strong?

"Are you okay, Kashish?" My mom asked with a smile. And I looked at her for a moment and mirrored hers.

"Yes." I spoke up.

Yes mom, why would I not be? You always said it to that I'll be okay. And I'm always okay. Right?

"We love you, Kashish." They said as they inched closer and hugged me. I stilled at the moment but patted them.

I know that you do. You've been telling me for years, aren't you? I love you too mom and dad. I've always have. You guys know that don't you?

"How was college?" Dad asked me a few minutes later after pulling away.

"Good." I answered getting up from my seat and walking to kitchen.

"If you need anything, why don't you ask me or mom, we can do it. You need some rest." My dad said following me to the kitchen.

"I can do it myself. I've been doing myself." I answered filling up the kettle for some tea.

"I get it, love. We've been busy with work, your mom and I. And we-" he said standing beside me and I looked at him turning on the burner.

"I understand." I stated with a nod and he smiled.

"Do you want some?" I asked referring to the tea.

"Of course, love. I'd love to." He said sitting on the stool across the counter.

I finished making tea in a few minutes and poured down into two cups placed in the saucers and handed him one and cleaned up the counter.

"It's good. Thank you Kashish." My dad said and I just smiled in return.

"So, I've been thinking if we should go on a dinner tomorrow night. You, mom and I?" He spoke breaking the silence.

"I have to be somewhere tomorrow. I'm sorry." I said to him as a surprised expression took over his face.

"You are going out?" He asked pausing and putting his cup down on the counter and I eyes immediately fell on it and he lifted it off placing back on the saucer.

"Yes." I answered.

"Where, if I may ask." He said.

"A party. At a friend's." I said raking my eyes back to him.

"It's good, you are making friends and going out. I'm happy. We can go on a dinner later when you are-" he said smiling.

"Please, you guys must go. I don't mean to keep your plans." I answered and he nodded.