Memory Road

Carter POV

I sat outside on the school's steps, waiting for my ride to come. It wasn't until the door behind me open. I turned my head to check it out, Claire and Brandon came out and didn't show eye contact when they passed me.

"If you guys need a ride home I got one" I blurted out catching their attention. "We're going to walk home together Carter thanks," Claire stated. She didn't bother turning around but the 'together' part got to me  

"Oh.." I say suprised. I didn't know why I cared but I did. Brandon waved with a smile and Claire didn't even bother, which made me feel more bad about myself.

Once they were out of sight I turned and sat back down on the steps of the stairs. "Man do I mess up things real bad" I mumbled to myself. 

"Hm what things did you mess up?" A familar voice said. I looked up and saw Jason smirking above me. "Hey Jason, where's Sawyer?" I asked as I got up.

We began walking "You expected your sister with a broken leg to drive you?" He answered with a small chuckle. "Good point, sorry wasn't thinking got a lot of things going on" I respond back to him.

We got in the car and he turned on the radio to the very first one he heard. "Hey do you think you can drop me off to the River Court? It's a few minutes from here" I asked another question.

"Sure thing kid" He started up the engine and we were on our way.

"Technically not a kid, I am 4 years part from you" I state. He turned and looked at me.

"4 years is still good enough for me to call you a kid" He smiled turning his attention back to the road.

I rolled my eyes. "So you enjoyed your highschool years Jason?" I asked.

"Your full with questions aren't ya" He said. "I guess" I say back.

"Well I can definitely say I can't forget it.."

He started off  "I was one of the unpopular kids you could say, bullied..yeah" He took a small pause "I worried about how people saw me anyone I liked or tried to impress, I would stutter my voice, make a complete fool out of myself" He took another pause "And I still do now" He finished of saying.

"How could anyone bully you, you seem like a really cool guy" I tried to console him.

"Did I mention I was shy?" He chuckled a bit. "Well it doesn't matter, book smart was all I need, it got me the  career I always wanted, I don't need that romantic stuff, and all" He added on.

"You don't want a family? kids" I temptly ask. "Who would want a guy like me, yesterday your sister took me to the mall and a girl rejected me right on the spot" He confessed. "Some luck I got, that wasn't the first either"

"Try not to be shy" I tried giving him advice. He simply nodded in understanding. I took out my phone and looked at the time. "Oh shit, it's 6:30" I mumbled under my breathe. Jason turned to me with a confused look. "What's the rush?"

"Long story short, I have to prove to my girlfriend that I still love her, and I do" I explained.

"Love is very strong word they say" He reckoned. "I know" I reasoned.

He stopped the car and we arrived at the Court.

"When you come back to your house, maybe you could tell the full story, I feel like outsider between all of you guys" He gestured his two finger to a wave of goodbye.

"You'd think real different about this place," I last said before he drove off.

I took a few more steps before I was in the dead centre, I dropped my bag and took a deep breathe beofre letting it all out. This is going to be a lot of work.