run free

"We're going to get in trouble." Kali tried once again to retreat back into the hallway. Lisa kept a firm grip on her arm, exasperated as she tried to keep the exit door open. The night was pretty quiet. Kali did want to go outside. It had been so long since she had just sat out in the night.

   "I'll scream right now if you don't just follow me." Lisa quickly responded. Kali sighed and finally let Lisa yank her out into the parking lot. Lisa put a chair back in the doorway, holding it open. Kali wanted to point out how easily someone could pass by, snatch the chair, and essentially lock them out for life. But, Lisa already started sprinting across the parking lot.

   Kali followed after. She snuck across the parking lot, kind of tip-toeing and weaving around the very few cars. Lisa finally stopped. The parking lot was set on a small hill and this small area overlooked the nearby highway. Lisa parked herself on a bench, but Kali was entranced by the lights. They were like stars. She listened to the whooshing of cars speeding by to who knows where. Her hands settled on the grey safety barrier.

  Lisa watched Kali, "See? It was worth it."

  Kali nodded a bit and went to sit next to her, but she kept eyes glued to the mystical highway. She wondered at who was driving and where they were going.

  "How did you-"

  "Magic. Look." Lisa motioned for Kali to look up at the sky. There was a light fog. However, peeking through, a few stars played witness to their late-night escapades. Lisa waited until Kali looked back at her before kissing her. They had been doing that a lot today. Mostly in their dorm. Well, only in their dorm, now that Kali thought about that.

  Kali smiled and shook her head, looking back to the cars.

  Lisa watched her, "What?"

 "You're being nice." Kali shrugged.

 "Wh- I am nice." Lisa nudged her.

 "I-....Sometimes you can be a bit insensitive." Kali admitted, "Like at dinner today when Susan was looking for a spare fork and you dropped yours before you offered it to her."

 "I'm teaching her a life lesson. Don't forget to grab a fork."

 "But you didn't even tell her that you dropped it on the floor."

 "It's a silent lesson."

  Kali laughed quietly. She looked at Lisa, lit up by the faraway street lights. For a second, she forgot that they were in a hospital parking lot. It was like they were back in an apartment, perched on a fire escape. Someone might pass below and greet them. Just a passing "hi" or a smile. And it would be a normal life.

 Lisa took Kali's hand in her own and put it in her lap. "What are you thinking about?"

 "Just life."

 "You always thinking about life?"

 "Well, what do you think about?" Kali wondered.

  Lisa shrugged, "Stuff."

  "Wow...stuff."

  Lisa rolled her eyes and pulled Kali into another kiss. That's when they heard a loud bang. Kali heard it even louder than it actually was. It was like a gunshot or a car backfiring. It seemed more theatrical than what it was. A door being closed. Their door being closed. As in the only way to get back into the hospital unseen was being closed.

  "No. No." Lisa stood up and started walking back towards the door. Kali sat frozen on the bench. They were stuck. Outside. They weren't supposed to be outside.

  Amelia smiled at Lisa through the tiny glass window, waving slowly, "Have fun."

  "Open the door, you fuc-"

  "Lisa." Kali finally forced herself to go over. It was like a bad dream, but pinching her arm wasn't waking her up, "Amelia, please."

  "Too bad. Looks like the door's locked." Amelia shrugged and walked away. Lisa was about to kick the door.

  "Stop. You're going to wake Valerie."

  "We're going to be stuck out here anyway." Lisa sighed.

  Kali leaned against the door that denied them entry, "I'll- We can think of something."

  "I already thought of something." Lisa turned to look again at the highway, "Let's go."

  "Go?"

  "Run. Run away from here. Go out there."

  Kali watched Lisa walk dreamily to the bench. Escape. Running. Running free. But going where? Kali couldn't remember which way was back to the city. And even if she did, what would they do when they got there? They would be on the run. Like criminals. But they hadn't done anything.

  But maybe Leo...well Leo sent her there in the first place, she reminded herself. Lisa pointed at the cars.

  "We only have one chance. Are we going or what?"