speaking in watercolor

"Who was at the door, Kali?" The man's even voice made Kali raise her head off of the mahogany desk. She had to push back her hair to meet his gaze, trying to recall what he was talking about. It had been a while since she stopped talking; a welcome pause to allow the therapist to gather his thoughts - the process that manifested itself with the intense, repetitive sound of a pen's point scratching into a yellow legal pad that doubled as a notebook. Kali had to reach over and take another sip from the glass that he had offered her. The water made it easier to swallow again without feeling like she was trying to digest a handful of thumbtacks. She had never had a problem with talking, but recounting the events of the past months had taken a lot out of her. 

  The therapist waited patiently, even with his pointed stare. She tilted her head and looked towards the window. Right. The door. The shadow at the door. Truly, Kali knew how to set the scene. She had been sure to describe the way the early morning sky like cotton candy hung up on clothesline. Like a carnival either in the process of being set up or taken apart. 

  "She was there." Kali smiled softly. She had to stand and go to the window. The glass wasn't cool, not like it had been in the winter months. It was warm like she could feel the sun trying to add its own perspective in the conversation. The same sun that had watched Will drop Kali off. He had been overjoyed when she confessed she wanted to try therapy again. Of course, not in the way she had at McLean. No. She wasn't living at this office. She wasn't even living in a basement anymore.

  Kali wondered if Lisa was looking out at the same sun from their small apartment. It was a humble abode, that's what Kali called it. They had a small bathroom where you could reach over and use the sink from the bathtub. It was really helpful when it came to getting ready in the morning. Wash your hair and brush your teeth at the same time...right, she was finishing up the story. She was trying to sum up the chaos and the misery and the wonderfulness of meeting someone like Lisa Rowe. Kali decided to repeat herself with more specificity, "Lisa was there. At the door."

  The therapist, seemingly satisfied with this information, grinned down at his already moving pen. Kali liked that. It was like someone acknowledging it. Understanding what her life had been before without judging what it took for her to get to this point.

  "And she apologized. I didn't- She had to apologize a lot before I started listening." Kali shrugged as she laid a flat palm down on the windowsill. This was a nice office. Nothing like Wick's. This office had a neutral color scheme that didn't scream at her. It had a large window that let light and warmth in and formed blocks of light that Kali could put her chair in. And on the windowsill, Dr. Reed had an assortment of knick-knacks including this solar-powered mechanical plant that moved like a hula dancer's hips. 

  Their cat would love to sit on windowsills just like this. Oh, the cat. She'd have to tell him about their cat. How beautiful. The cat and the story of the cat. See, it was one early morning when Kali was on her way to the flower shop that she saw the cat. This gorgeous little black ball of fur that had piercing eyes. Just like Polly's cat. Now, Kali had one of her own. She named him Polly. Even though Lisa said that was a girl's name. Polly.

  And Kali hadn't been able to bring cat Polly to go visit real Polly with her, but that was okay because Polly liked the candy and flowers she brought anyway.

  "But you were happy to see her." The therapist didn't phrase it as a question, more like an observation. He was seeming to forget that this wasn't just a simple conversation between friends. But sometimes it was hard to remember that you hadn't known Kali your whole life. Especially when she closed your eyes and smiled with a slight nod as she listened to you talk about how you had fixed your printer. Or when she raised her eyebrows and complimented the way you color-coordinated your tie and your socks.

  "I'm happy." Kali nodded, letting the leaves of the dancing plant hit her thumb. Smack. Smack. The same way Lisa cleaned the rug when it got covered in cat fur. 

  "Have you thought about an outlet, Kali?" Dr. Reed asked after a minute.

  "Like to plug something into? What kind of thing?" 

  "No. Well, sort of. An outlet can also mean a hobby. Something to put your energy into."

  Kali smiled and closed her eyes again like she was letting the sun pet her head, "I paint. So far my only customers have been my boss...and his boyfriend...and my best friend. But, Lisa said that maybe she could advertise. She's good at getting people to do things. The best at it."

  "I'd be happy to be your next customer."

  "Would you? That's very nice. Lovely, even. I'm working on this new one."

  "What's it of?"

  "The city. And the river. And there are these girls. Walking at night. Just talking."

  "That sounds really nice."

  Kali nodded.

  "I don't know what to call it yet...maybe something like...Falling in Love. That sounds nice, doesn't it? Falling in love. Right by the water."