It's Got a Beat, Mr. Jones

It was just another hot summer day in a little town in the middle of nowhere. The small Texas town was as always being brutally beaten by the cruel Texas sun. The population of this small town was somewhere around two hundred. It had one general store, one laundromat, one jail that never had anyone in it, one old restaurant, one filling station, one hotel, one post office, two small schools, an elementary and a high school, and two churches, a baptist and a methodist church. The small town had nothing going for it besides that there was a highway a mile away and sometimes people would take the exit for a short break from driving or a night's sleep. Everyone that lived in this small town was born there, except for the general store owner. He was from the North-East.
In this small town lived a beautiful young woman. She was nineteen years old and she worked the register in the general store. She had thick, curly, blonde hair that rolled down her shoulders like a waterfall and green-blue eyes that looked like the ocean on a calm day. On this hot summer day, she was working the cash register in the general store. She was humming the tune to a rock and roll hit that was being overplayed on the radio. Her blue eyes were only half open. The heat and humidity was making her sleepy.
The young lady heard an old car squeak to a stop in front of the store. An older gentleman walked into the general store holding a cane.
"Good day, Mary," He said smiling at her.
"Good day, Mr. Jones," Mary said smiling. Her green-blue eyes were now wide open.
Mr. Jones's nose wrinkled when he heard the music that was playing on the radio. "I'll never understand why the young people like this music," He said.
"It's got a beat, Mr. Jones," Mary said smiling.
Mr. Jones shrugged. "I still do not understand the appeal," He said.
Mary laughed a small bell of a laugh. "Whatever you say Mr. Jones," She said.
Mr. Jones went to get the things he needed from the store. He came back with a pound of flour. He set it on the counter and Mary pressed a few buttons on the register. "That'll be fifty-two cents, Mr. Jones," She said.
Mr. Jones handed her a fifty-cent piece and a dime. "Keep the change," He said.
Mary smiled widely. "Thank you, Mr. Jones," She said.
Mr. Jones walked out of the store. His cane hit the ground as he walked to his car. Mary heard Mr. Jones's car start up and drive away. She sighed. She was alone again.
Mary hated it in this little town in the middle of nowhere. She hated how brutally the small Texas town was beaten by the cruel Texas sun. She hate how the population was only around two hundred. She hated how there was only one general store, one laundromat, one jail that never had anyone in it, one old restaurant, one filling station, one hotel, one post office, two small schools, an elementary and a high school, and two churches, a baptist and a methodist church. She hated how everyone was born in the small town. She hated how nothing ever happened in the small town. She hate the small town she lived in. She hated it so much.
The heat and humidity began to make Mary sleepy again. She felt herself nod off slowly. Suddenly an engine woke her up. She looked up at the door.
A young man walked in. He was wearing a dark blue suit and his dark brown hair was slicked back. Mary had never seen him before in her life.
"Hey," He said smiling broadly at her.
"Hi," Mary said.
He walked towards the counter. "What's your name?" He asked.
"Mary," Mary replied. "What's yours?"
"Jeff Riley," He said.
His name sounded familiar to Mary, but she couldn't think of from where.
"Can I help you with anything?" Mary asked.
"Oh, yeah, I want a pack of cigarettes," Jeff said.
Mary pulled a pack of Camel Cigarettes out from under the counter. Jeff put his hand into his pocket. "How much do I owe you for this?" He asked.
"Twenty-five cents," Mary said lazily. The heat was really getting to her.
Jeff pulled out a handful of coins and counted them. He gave her three dimes. "Keep the change," He said smiling at her.
Mary smiled a little. "Thanks," She said.
"Hey, when do you get off?" Jeff asked. "I'd like to take you out to dinner."
"I get off at seven," Mary said.
"I'll take you out then," Jeff said smiling.
"All right," Mary said smiling at him.
Jeff winked at her. "See you then," He said.
Mary blushed and lowered her head to look down at her hands that were resting on the counter. Jeff smiled widely once more before stepping out of the general store.
Mary heard a car drive off and she looked out the window to try and catch another glance at Jeff. His car was a large, black bus.
Mary sighed. She looked up at the clock. It was only five...