Chapter Twenty-Four

Captain Worthington had had enough of this headache. His daughter was missing for god's sake. Abducted by pirates. And he'd sent yet more pirates to fetch her back. He couldn't deny that the best way to catch a pirate was with another pirate; it was a ruse he'd found successful before. But he hated the idea of his beloved daughter being in the care of Captain Byrne.

His situation was making him rather irritable, and the governor's incessant complaining was not improving his mood.

"I have more than enough to contend with, Worthington, without your ridiculous schemes!" the governor was saying. "Not only was my home violated and my possessions stolen, but my nephew has descended into a pit of despair over this whole affair! And what is your answer to it all? You sent the very pirates who robbed me to fetch back the girl you promised to my nephew! Was she even abducted, sir, or is it another ploy you've cooked up? How can I be certain you didn't send those pirates to rob me blind in the first place? How can I—"

"Governor, please," Seaver interjected. "Captain Worthington has had no previous alliance with these men. What you're suggesting is utterly ridiculous."

The governor, who was busy pacing back and forth the length of his parlor—a touch less ornate than it once was and lacking key decorations—grumbled in response. Worthington sighed and rubbed his temples.

Seaver helped himself to another glass of the governor's fine scotch. "I have every confidence in the pirate's abilities. He's evaded our dear captain here for years." Seaver gestured to his officer at his left, the amber liquid swirling in his glass.

The remark stung, but Worthington remained silent. His fist clenched on his knee. He had no intention of allowing Dark to go free once he was back in his clutches. He wasn't an idiot. Worthington had Dark's beloved first mate captive, and soon enough he'd have the wench as well. All, of course, once his daughter was returned to him.

"He will return Miss Worthington, the wedding shall go on as planned, and your nephew's depression will soon be forgotten." Seaver assured the governor. "Another pirate will be behind bars, and even if he is unable to bring us the infamous Grimm, Worthington's men will now have knowledge of his hideout. It's perfect!" He sipped from his glass, confident in his plans.

The governor turned away from the window he'd been glaring out. "Aren't you forgetting one thing, Seaver?" he demanded. "Even if your questionable plan is successful, this pirate returns my nephew's bride and you capture your man, you're another as of yet unaddressed problem." Here he turned to direct his glare at Worthington.

Seaver took another large sip of scotch. "And that would be?"

"Your officer, Worthington," he accused. "He ruined the ceremony before this Grimm character even arrived! I won't stand for that kind of foolishness."

Worthington bolted from his seat. "You can't be serious. I want this match as much as you do. My daughter will marry your nephew, as promised."

"You expect me to believe you didn't know about this?"

"Excuse me if I don't involve myself in the personal lives of my officers. Had I known about his infatuation with my daughter, rest assured I would have put a stop to it."

The governor grunted. "How can you be sure it was a one-sided infatuation?"

"I beg your pardon?!"

"Gentlemen, please," Seaver cut them both off, finishing off his scotch. "This...unpleasant situation will soon be resolved. Worthington's lieutenant is a competent man. He will ensure Miss Worthington's safe return. In the meantime, I suggest, governor, that we focus our efforts on repairs."