A Bargain Pt. 2

Sykes was beginning to feel he had made a mistake. The uneasy alliance he had formed with Dark he knew was necessary. Still, he had always worked alone. He found it difficult to trust someone so close to Grimm.

The unease he felt was amplified by the small quarters of the boat. His massive frame had barely squeezed into it without sinking the little dinghy. Dark, for his part, was whistling quietly, rowing with calm, sure strokes.

Sykes frowned. At least one of them was happy.

Dark's intimate knowledge of Sykes's enemy, as well as his whereabouts-information that was by far the most precious-were invaluable. Nonetheless, his new ally had been more than usually secretive, even for a pirate.

Their partnership had only lasted six months. Six frustrating months of exchanging information at secret meetings and planning, always planning. Sykes wanted action.

"There she is." Dark's sudden comment broke into Sykes's thoughts.

He glanced up, his eyes scanning across the black waters of the bay to where Dark was pointing. The ship was small, built for speed, and nearly as black as the waters that caressed her hull. She swayed gently with the swells. Sykes could hear the familiar slap of water against wood.

From the distance, he couldn't see anyone on board, but in the back of his mind he acknowledged the possibility of a trap.

"She's a beauty," Sykes said, making conversation to distract himself.

Dark smiled, shaking his head. "A gift from Captain Grimm."

"He must feel yer loyalty wavering." Sykes smirked.

Dark shrugged, stowing the oars when the dinghy brushed the larger vessel. Tying off the rope, Dark jumped out of the boat and climbed the hull's ladder with surprising agility. He heard his feet hit the deck in moments.

Brawnier than he was quick, Sykes took his time climbing up, gritting his teeth though he heard no one else above.

"This way," Dark said when Sykes's head appeared at the rail.

The deck was deserted. Sykes swung a leg over the railing, dawdling behind to look around while his new friend disappeared below. When he cautiously dropped down into the hatch and followed Dark to the captain's cabin, his anxiety and suspicion had turned from the threat of a trap to refocus on Dark.

Once inside the cabin, Dark wasted no time in pulling some rolls of parchment from his vest and spreading them on the desk at the back of the room. Again, Sykes hung back, watching Dark's back as he pored over the plans.

Slowly, Sykes reached a hand to his belt and drew his pistol. Straightening his arm, he aimed the barrel of the pistol at the middle of Dark's back, mere feet away. If he heard anything suspicious, he didn't react.

Sykes remained still, his back straight, his other hand loosely clenched at his side. His breath came even, and his heartbeat was steady. Dark didn't turn. The pistol's barrel didn't waver.

He had never made it a habit to shoot men in the back, unawares. When the need had arisen, Sykes had made it a point to shoot face-to-face. Every decision he'd made on his long journey for vengeance had been a burden he'd carried alone. He'd rarely made lasting connections or alliances.

With Dark it was different. It was true, they had a mutual need for each other which made them expendable to each other once their goal was carried out. Yet Sykes had trouble believing his own doubts. Something about Dark told him, despite his secrecy, that he had no intention of betraying Sykes.