Chapter Fourteen

Standing tall and proud on the horizon, just off the starboard side, it was visible. Our long-awaited destination. The newest fort to be constructed I could see from my peripherals. Its slate grey walls were lined with sentinels keeping watch over the seas on all sides. The flag flying at the top of the mast was a simple, inconspicuous one, and the crew had made efforts to look more like ordinary sailors. Precautions only; we wouldn't be entering the town of Port Royal the habitual way.

We were about an hour away, but I found myself growing anxious. For months, I had been anticipating my arrival here, for it was in this place I had hoped to start a new life. With a new identity and a deeply buried past, I hoped to a make a simple and content life for myself. That had been the plan. Now, with every second that brought me closer I found myself dreading the time I would step off this ship for good.

With a sigh, I forced my eyes back to my work. Knowing in my heart of hearts that I was happy right where I was didn't change the truth. I couldn't stay.

Can't go back either, I thought. Can't stay here because of—

"Zaina."

Dark's hand on my shoulder startled me out of my reverie.

"Yes?" I asked, turning, forgetting to address him as captain.

Face unreadable, almost emotionless, he said, "Come with me."

Somewhat warily, I followed him up to the quarter deck. Sykes, whistling, nodded at us as we passed and Dark halted just out of earshot at the stern. Folding my arms under my chest, I angled myself towards the silhouette of Port Royal in the distance. Dark hadn't spoken to me in days, not even to bark orders.

When I didn't initiate conversation, he traced my gaze and gave a low chuckle. "You must be excited. You've been waiting a long time to get here."

Without thinking, I laughed. "And God knows it hasn't been easy."

Dark grinned. "You signed on for the job, darling."

I turned to him, relaxing my posture. "I don't remember signing anything, mister," I joked. A strand of hair blew across my face and I brushed it aside.

His smile widened until he bared teeth. As if on reflex, his hand stretched out to catch another lock of hair that had been freed by the wind. Without thinking, I stiffened. He lowered his hand, clearing his throat uncomfortably.

"I have a friend there," he continued. "He'll see to it that you're settled in...without obstacles."

"Thank you." I was grateful for his concern. Worthington had never officially branded me as a pirate, but it wouldn't hurt to be cautious. I would have to adopt a new alias as soon as possible and steer clear of Worthington and his men.

Dark leaned over the railing, idly scratching the back of his hand. "What will you do now, then?" he questioned me. "Get a job? Find a husband and start a family?"

He kept his expression neutral, but I knew my answer was important to him.

I answered carefully, "It sounds wonderfully normal."

Dark snorted. His tone was mocking. "And that's what you want, is it?"

I shot him a glare. "I want my life to be my own," I told him emphatically.

His amused chuckles stopped immediately. "That's impossible." I was about to reply indignantly but he kept speaking, every word causing a hardened lump of some unknown emotion to rise in my throat. "Any job you get, your livelihood will be in their hands. If you marry, your life will belong to your husband and your children. As a mother, you must put them above yourself. As a wife, you must obey your husband."