Truth Aftermath

[SPOILERS FOR 'TRUTH' - Season 4, Episode 1]

Quick warning that this chapter does have some Lukanette angst in it but after this chapter, I don't think they'll be any as the storyline will be focusing entirely on the Love Square! There was just no way I could work around the Lukanette for this chapter as Marinette had to feel some emotion after the breakup.

"When you're ready, I'll be here for you, Marinette."

Marinette closed her eyes as Luka remained hugging her. She felt awful about not telling him the truth but how can she? No one must know about her double life; it's too dangerous. Their hug broke up and Marinette had to watch Luka leave. She knew this was for the best, yet it still felt like a knife to the chest. She loved Luka, but was she really being honest with herself there?

There was also Adrien. She's been in love with Adrien the day he gave her the umbrella on his first day of school so she wouldn't walk home soaking wet. This morning, she was watching a video about Adrien's life and just falling in love with him all over again. How could she say that she loves Luka if there's also Adrien? But how could she say that she loves Adrien if she can't even say a simple sentence when she's around him? Besides, he only sees her as a friend anyways.

But none of this matters as she could never get a boyfriend while she's living in this double life - her relationship with Luka has clearly proven that. She's always going to have to run away on dates, school rides home, even concerts so she can be able to fight the akumatized citizens of Paris and get closer to defeat Hawkmoth. She doesn't want to hide the truth from the people she loves, but that's just how things have to be.

Marinette began walking back home to her parents' small bakery, Tom & Sabine Boulangerie Patisserie. She tried to keep a fake smile as she didn't want to worry her parents with her troubles. Last time she got "upset" over a boy, her dad got akumatized into the supervillain Weredad and she got trapped in a bunch of thorny branches. She would never want to see her parents get that upset again.

"Hello, Marinette!" her dad, Tom, beamed enthusiastically as she walked in the bakery, "How was the concert?"

"Oh," Marinette looked up, "It was alright. I mean good. I mean great!"

"Mari? Is everything alright?" her mum, Sabine, could tell that something was wrong.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I'm just a little tired, that's all," Marinette faked her smile again, "I'm going to go to my room now."

"Okay, well I made macaroons!" her dad said, hoping it'd cheer his daughter up, "Would you like to take some with you?"

"I appreciate the offer dad, but I think I'm just going to take a nap," she waved and climbed upstairs, leaving her parents to become worried about what had happened during their daughter's friends' concert.

Once Marinette was in her room, she leaned against her wall and began to cry. All the pressure of being Ladybug had finally gotten to her as she realised that she could never have the simple teenagehood which she always thought she was going to have. And the worst part was that there was no way she could give this up as then there would be no Ladybug to save Paris every day and she'd also lose her memory completely.

She climbed onto her bed and sat down, hugging her knees and crying more. She just wanted things to go back to how they were. Back to the days when everything was simpler. She wanted to work fully on her friendships and her outfit designs. She wanted to be able to have a boyfriend without things getting in the way. But now she could never get that simple life she had planned for. Her duty has taken away her freedom of doing that.