Chapter Two

Gerard;

The boy approaches me, looking almost determined. His jaw is clenched and his eyes are burning into mine. More than determined, he looks down right pissed. I start to fear this boy, I feel like I've made his mood plummet to that.

His eyes don't leave mine as he stops a foot or less away from me. He unclenches his jaw, allowing his mouth to open slowly in preparation for what he's about to say. "I'd appreciate it if you'd stop staring at me." His words come out with a lot less malice than I thought they would. He sounds more desperate than anything. So, building up my courage, I decide to ask something.

"What's your name?" I would know if I had paid any sort of attention while Mr. Carlile was taking attendance.

I can visibly see him gulp, almost like he's swallowing a lump that had formed in his throat. "Frank."

I smile, only barely, and give him my name in return. "I'm Gerard."

"I'm aware. Perhaps you would've known mine if you were paying attention during roll call," Frank says snarkily. I definitely thought wrong. All forms of desperation were gone, even the tone in his voice, and now he looks full of rage again. His jaw is clenched again, his eyes are burning holes into mine. It almost physically hurts to hold the eye contact.

"I'm sorry," I practically whimper. I've always turned weak around people who are irate. I get quiet and try to turn even more invisible than I already am. I try to avoid being a target, but this time I've basically put myself in this position. I just wonder though... How would me just staring cause such an uprising? No one has ever gotten so defensive from that.

He just turns around and walks off, returning to his sitting position against the bleachers. I can't help but want to go over there and explain to him and apologize again for staring. Sometimes I just can't help it, people fascinate me. Alas, I stay seated in fear of getting another snarky response.

So, I don't look at him once for the rest of the period, I stay seated and look around.

I decide to continue my section on teachers' attitudes, this one on my Spanish teacher, Mr. Fuentes. I don't do it on Mr. Carlile because there isn't much about him, he doesn't really talk or do anything other than take attendance and inform us whether or not we're staying inside.

Mr. Fuentes:
Mr. Fuentes is more strict than not, but laid back at the same time. He's a mixture of things that are significant in a teacher. He can be caring, he can be bossy, nice, rude, lenient, everything. It makes me wonder. Why? Most teachers pick one side: lenient or strict. He's both. But I know that isn't his natural personality. He's actual kind hearted. Last year, during Spanish I, when I was upset, he had a conversation with me about it, he was understanding and heard me out, and just listened intently. That's who he really is. Why hide it infront of a group of kids? Is it out of fear that they'll abuse his kindness? But if that's the case, turning into a harsh person isn't the answer, they'll abuse that too.