Chapter Sixteen

Gerard;

Pet Store
Frank Iero

Wow. Seeing Frank play with animals and laugh with joy is a lot more attractive after I realized I have a crush on him. I memorized every detail about everything that evening. The way he his eyes crinkled and his cheeks heated up when a dog would lick his face. The way he would smile with his teeth when he would look over at me while I held the cats. It was truly an amazing sight and I didn't want to leave him. But, his dad called and he had to go home. I offered to walk him back just to make sure he'd get there okay, but he said no. He looked and sounded like he really didn't want me to go with him. It was confusing. 

I close my journal and spin around in my desk chair. I'm questioning why he wouldn't let me walk him home. Did I do something? I mean, he let Mom drive him home.

Maybe he doesn't like his house? I don't see why he wouldn't though. A house is a house. As long as you have shelter and all appropriate living necessities, I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of.

I take a deep breath and shake the thoughts out of my head. I need to stop thinking about this, it isn't any of my business whether or not he likes his house. If he wanted me to walk with him, he would've said so. I need to stop being so nosy, it doesn't get people to like me. It scares people and chases them off. I really don't want Frank running away from my friendship.

Maybe video games will get my head cleared. So, I get off my bed and go to my TV cabinet. I kneel down and swipe my thumb over the touch screen of my Xbox console so the tray opens up and allows me to put my Left4Dead disk in. I close it and wait for it to start. I set all the controls up and choose to start on the first round and work my way up to the rooftop finale, which I haven't played yet. Maybe I'll beat the game today.

I pick Francis to be my character and sigh, realizing how much better it is to play this with Mikey so I don't have to deal with three computers who just follow me around like brain dead amatuers.

I start out by picking which gun I want, grabbing a health pack, and a pipe bomb. I then run down the path and start shooting the zombies I can see, not caring if the computers are with me or not.

*

Two hours later and I'm kneeled practically directly in front of the television and screaming at it every time one of the computers fucks up and gets down. My current struggle: I'm out of ammo in my gun and I'm left with a pistol while the witch is attacking Louis.

"Goddammit! Fucking shoot her you pricks!" I scream at the screen as I repeatedly shoot round after round at the witch. Eventually she falls over dies and Louis is left injured and almost dead on the ground beside her. "Fuck you! I am not using my health pack on your dumb ass!"

I run off in search of more zombies and hopefully the safe house.

"Gerard Way, watch your mouth," I hear my mom shout from, probably, the kitchen. I don't think there's ever a time when she isn't in there.

I sigh and wipe my face on my shirt sleeve. I need to calm down, it's just a video game. But goddammit why are these computers so fucking stupid?

I run through the map for maybe ten more minutes before locating the safe house and running in, shutting the door after the others safely made it inside. I shut down the console and lay my controller on one of the shelves of my TV cabinet.