I Know You (2138 words)

It was so clear; he wonders how he had not seen it before.

After a week of mulling it over every night in his dreams, and through any spare moment he had, he decides it's time. He has to know.

He has to know if she's really Ladybug.

He wasn't sure how she managed to do it. She always seems so busy, where does she even find time to have a double life? But, he figures, the same could be said about him. Maybe that's what helped keep both their identities hard to pin down.

What was most unbelievable is that she has been right under his nose this entire time. He always had a hunch that she attended his school, but on some days, it felt like Ladybug wasn't real at all, just a vision of perfection.

But she is very much real, and within his sights. It felt unfair to know her identity and keep it a secret from her. He has to be honest with her, no matter what wrath he might face. She will most likely be a little angry with him, but he'll argue that he didn't really mean to put the pieces together leading to her identity. It just sort of happened by accident.

He's known her for years as Ladybug and as her civilian self. With university right around the corner, he feels like it's now or never in terms of revealing what he knows.

He finally gets her alone one weekend afternoon once their group of friends have disbanded for the day. He tried to hide his anxiousness throughout the day, or the fact that he kept staring at her and imagining a polka-dotted mask around her eyes. He feels his throat get dry when he looks down at her now.

"Kagami, you know you can tell me anything, right?" he prompts, swallowing hard and feeling his heart beating in his throat.

She tilts her head to look at him and smiles, "That's very kind of you, Adrien; I'll keep that in mind" she looks ahead again, assuming that's the end of Adrien's thought, but something does flash in her eyes. He's gotten pretty good at reading her face, despite how well she keeps it unfazed when she wants to.

He takes her hand in his, slowing them to a stop. "And you know I'll always be honest with you"

She blinks with hesitation, sensing Adrien wandering somewhere deeper than she first thought. "...And I with you" she reciprocates, but her expression visibly wanes around the edges.

Adrien catches this and smiles encouragingly. He didn't start dating Kagami because he thought she might be Ladybug, but as time passed, he thought it would be a nice coincidence if she was. And lately, it's been seeming more likely than ever before. "Though it's okay to have secrets," he sits them down on a bench overlooking the water, "but I may have realized one of yours by accident..." Kagami's eyes widen. "And before you say anything, it's okay. I know you had to keep it under wraps for a long time but I think it's time,"

After a moment, she sighs, "How did you find out?" and squeezes his hand comfortingly

Adrien shrugs, smirking, "All the signs were there, I kinda put it together without realizing it" He's practically bouncing in his seat.

Her brow pulls together, confused by his expression. "I guess I wasn't being as careful as I thought. I wanted us to have more time before I told you, but I guess it can't be avoided now" her usual serious expression takes on a sad tinge. "I wish us to still be friends. Friendship is easier to maintain over long separations. I'm glad to know you also understand the strains of long-distance relationships."

He freezes, he didn't expect 'sad' as a reaction to him finding out she's Ladybug. Also, what does she mean by separation? Long-distance? She isn't going to quit being Ladybug just because he figured out her identity, is she?