A Story of Snow and Science...

Last month, we asked you to write a day in the life of a CEO and founder of a massive megacorporation on a planet caught in a permanent freeze

This entry comes from JeffreyVonHauger:

Yuki Nishito succeeded her father as CEO of the largest corporate entity in the outer planets. Born on Europa a century ago, she ran its subarctic fishing industry from her tower. She kept a Welsh Corgi named Tarzan; the only dog on the moon, his silhouette appeared on the company logo. Everyone loved Tarzan.

"The fishing supervisors are asking for more heat," said Yuki's chief operations officer, Sunshine.

"Are they still not wearing the new gear?"

Yuki monitored communications among the fishing vessels on virtual screens projected in front of her gravity couch. She didn't listen in but read a live computer-generated transcript.

"You actually read those superficial conversations?"

"It's a fascinating look at the human psyche isolated in small populations on hostile planets."

"Ok.? I'll order all deep-sea fishers to use the new gloves and coveralls. You know they hate the color."

Yuki pushed up her thick tortoiseshell glasses by scrunching her nose.

"Fluorescent pink wards off electro squid. I'm attempting to keep them both warm and unharmed."

"I've told them we cannot send any more warm air down the shafts to the waystations. They'll just have to man up and dress in pink."

"Excellent, what else?"

"We'll meet our projected numbers this month. All the containers will be packed and ready for the next shuttle. Oh, and Ambassador Levin would like to meet for lunch."

"Fine, reserve our usual table for three." Yuki reached across the couch and gave Tarzan a pat on the head before turning her attention back to her COO. "Care to join us?"

"Will you be having sushi from the earth-farmed stock?"

"I can't imagine the ambassador wanting anything else."

"Then I'll make it a table for four. See you at lunch, Tarzan."

The dog braked a single positive response.

Sunshine turned with a spin and glanced at the endless tundra on her way out of the office. Yuki returned to reading her transcripts and Tarzan moved across the couch to snuggle up against her thigh.