Author Spotlight: @sleepingdraco

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what words wouldn't you use?

Calm, cool, and collect. Sane probably wouldn't work either

Think back to when you were in school. What was your favourite subject?

gym then science

When you were a young 'un, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A stewardess (flight attendant was not yet a word) or a biochemist.

What does Tevun-Krus mean to you?

I'd never written sci-fi before and it took me months to get up the nerve to submit something. But it turns out you guys are real nice so what do you mean to me? Big hugs.

Tell us about your reading/writing habits. If you're not a writer, then simply the former will suffice!

I'm a bit hyperactive to get all the way through books sometimes and I feel woefully under read for my age. I enjoy all kinds of books but I'm embarrassed to admit that before starting to read on Wattpad two years ago I had been on a trashy romance novel binge for longer than I care to say. I mean, who knew they were so addictive?

As your crew casts your lifeless body into the heart of the nearest star, list three pieces of music likely to be rattling the bulkheads of your beloved vessel!

One by U2, Take My Breath Away (love theme song to Top Gun), and Punk Rock Girl by the Dead Milkmen (I had no idea I was so cheesy, damn)

Who is your all-time favourite author? How much, if at all, has their work influenced your writing style?

I can't decide between Hemingway and Dr. Seuss. I'm not a wordy person so I aspire to Hemingway's writing style. Dr. Seuss influenced my imagination a great deal so therefore has influenced my writing a great deal.

Of everything you've written, which piece is your favourite?

I have three collections of flash fiction from : Knocking Around Inside My Head, being the first of them.

Pitch the above story to us. Make us really want to read it!

Each collection as 25 500-word stories, so this is just one of them: What would happen if Hemingway was sanctioned by the Wattpad moderators?

 https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/182233628/write/744827392

To what extent does the mythical 'real life' influence your writing?

To quote johnnedwill, "Reality is for those who can't cope with their imagination."

If you could have any superpower, what would that be and why?

I'm a strong believer in grade B superpowers. Grade A superpowers are the big ones: flying, invisibility, etc. I could take them or leave them. Grade B superpowers are near achievable in real life like always knowing what direction you are pointed when you come out of the subway, always finding an empty parking spot, always having the right clothes on for the weather. My strongest grade B superpower is always having a snack in my pocket.

What would you do if you woke up one day and suddenly realized you were an alien from another world?

I would try to figure out which parts were the sex organs and how they worked. (does everyone say that, because I think that is what everyone would do)

The Technological Singularity presents a rather daunting, some say inevitable, future. Does the prospect of that level of artificial intelligence excite you, or leave you quaking in your space boots?

I'm skeptical down to the neurotransmitter/neuron level that human emotion can ever be replicated by AI (see my short story The Kitten Experiment). As to being afraid if it, well I'm not so worried that Facebook knows what shoes I want more than I do so I guess I'll live with it.

Who was your first Sci-Fi crush? Who is your current one?

Han Solo. Han Solo

If you could experience the world of any Sci-Fi story on Wattpad, which would that be and why?

I'm not sure, but being a big coffee drinker and being a little punchy from quarantine I still laugh thinking about this flash fiction sci-fi piece piece by authormsmiller:

 https://www.wattpad.com/704457929-in-500-or-less-a-fight-in-the-flight

And finally, any words of wisdom to new and aspiring Sci-Fi writers?

I consider myself a new and aspiring Sci-Fi writer and I rarely console myself. I just have panic attacks instead. But if I was giving someone else advice, I would say if you want to be a Sci-Fi writer write regularly and try to meet other writers and exchange critique. Often by giving other people specific critique (which is very hard) you can better critically examine at your own work and make it better.