chapter one.

1 - SCARLETT

The sun peaks through my curtains, shining onto my pale skin, making me feel dead. The audacity of its brightness soured my mood. I will never be a morning person.

I glare at the bright red 9:23 AM and sigh heavily. Two hours of sleep will have to do. I drag my corpse-like body through my room and bathroom, preparing for the day.

I swallow my anti-depressants and plaster on a smile, heading into the kitchen where my roommate stands, destroying our apartment.

"Good morning, Jor." I greet, grabbing a glass of water.

"Good morning, gorgeous!" She exclaimed, far too cheery for the time of the morning. I want to hibernate forever. "Big day!"

"Big day?" My tired eyes focus on her hands flipping the pancakes.

"Yes, you can have a pancake," she promises. I straighten. That obvious, eh? "And have you forgotten about your big interview?"

Ah, the interview. "It's not that big," I shrug, gulping down my anxiety along with the cold water.

"It is huge, Scar. You will kill it, and you will have a position at one of the best publishing companies in California. I believe in you." Her words only stressed me further. My stomach feels like someone is blowing hot air into it like a balloon, waiting for me to pop.

"Thank you," I say genuinely. "Without you, I wouldn't have this interview."

She waves her hand with a scoff, dismissing me. "You got this interview all on your own, baby." She hands me two large pancakes. They're rather deformed, but I choose not to say anything. Jordyn chose to think so could cook, so I chose to support that choice.

It is true, though. Without Jordyn's father and his connections, I wouldn't have an interview for an editorial position at a major publishing house. These opportunities don't happen for 21-year-old college seniors. I should be ecstatic, nervous even, but I felt nothing at all.

I finish my pancakes and engage in Jordyn's ranting about graduation. She doesn't understand why walking the stage is so important. I see past her angry rants. I know deep down she just wanted to avoid the reality of the situation- we are graduating.

We are adults, soon. Officially. None of my friends could really handle this thought yet. Today I have to. Today I am interviewing for the adult world. I can do this.

I decide on a white pantsuit that fit me like a surgical glove. I felt sexy, and my 5'7 height appeared taller with the confidence that the suit provides. The short black heels help, too.

I look good. No, I look amazing. That is the mindset I chose for today. I will be confident, and I will get this job.

I straighten my brunette waves and apply a light coat of makeup. I feel put together and ready to take on anything, but please world, be gentle with me. There is only so much a power suit can do for a girl.

I am terrified. I wish I could go back to a mere hour ago when I felt nothing.

I stare at myself in my mirror and swallow my fear.

You can do this, Scarlett.

Jordyn compliments me thousands of times as I walk out the door, but I can't think of anything to say. I am focused. I have my notes, and I keep repeating all the tips people have given me in the past couple of days.

Don't show signs of panic; they'll sniff that out right away.

Sit up straight. Don't stutter. Be mature.