The Trial Pt 2

yeeeeeeeeet

  L'othaim was led into the room. He moved slowly, painfully. His clothes were wrinkled. Dark circles hung below his eyes, and pain shone on his face.

  With shock 642 realized that the old man was in handcuffs. Not only that, but he had obviously been treated roughly.

  642's resentment toward L'othaim melted. His gaze shot to the officers in the room. How dare they treat an old man this way! He may be a rebellious old man, but he didn't deserve such treatment.

  General Bransell instructed that Dr. L'othaim be brought before him. He gave the elderly man a once-over, eyebrow raised. "You're the one responsible for 642, then?"

  Defeated, the old man nodded his head. "Yes."

  L'othaim would not bring himself to look at 642. This whole mess was his fault. He had denied it at first, but conscience made him accept the responsibility. He'd created a defective soldier, and the soldier was going to die because of him, and he would most likely be killed as well.

  "I don't believe it," the general shook his head. He truly did not. "I want proof."

  "There is footage," Colonel Hiver spoke up. He had been silent for the majority of the trial. Now, he eagerly offered some evidence. "Yesterday after I returned with the prisoner," here he was referring to 642, "I requested security footage from the Production Floor over the course of the past three years."

  Even from across the room, 642 could see the greed in his eyes. The colonel knew a promotional opportunity when he saw one and he had seized this tragic situation with enthusiasm.

  "Alright," General Bransell nodded. "Let's see it."

  Colonel Hiver nodded to an officer in charge of the large screen.

  The officer turned on the footage that he spoke of.

  "What you'll see here," the colonel continued, as the video started to play, "Is of the very night that Dr. L'othaim snuck onto the Production Floor after hours and conducted his experiment. You can see him walk out of shot. 642's life form was right off camera."

  642 leaned forward, curiosity getting the best of him. He squinted at the screen, at the endless rows of tanks filled with life forms, wanting to catch a glimpse of the night he was altered. He watched L'othaim walk through the rows and then offscreen.

  Scientists in the audience whispered amongst themselves. They had no idea that the passive old L'othaim was capable of such defiance.

  The footage played on a loop. Everyone watched several times.

  "And no one noticed this as it happened?" General Bransell asked, clearly displeased.

  Colonel Hiver shook his head. "No, Sir. The man in the security room was asleep and saw nothing. He has since been dealt with."

  "Very good." The general nodded. He thought for a moment, before looking at L'othaim once again, who still stood before him. "I'm curious about 642's independent mind. As we all are, I'm sure. Was that intentional? How did you manage?"

  L'othaim shook his head. "No," he said hesitantly, "I merely wanted a stronger soldier. 642 surprised me with the rest."

  "That I did," 642 commented, sitting back again. He earned a jab in the side from a guard's rifle.

  General Bransell ignored his comment. "But how?" He asked L'othaim. "I don't understand."

  "If I may." Colonel Hiver spoke up again. "I also have three years worth of security footage for 642. He's been busy."