Chapter 3.5

There were six of them

There were six of them. Two snake-like, two dog-like, and two humanlike. The blood drained from my face.

Taking a cautious step back, I couldn't hide the horror which moved through me. There was no way we could kill all of them, especially the humanoid ones, which were stronger than the others. My attention, for some reason, flickered to the box hovering above us. To Nathanial, who stood at the window, watching. His emerald green gaze momentarily met mine. There was no point in hoping for help. It certainly would not come from him.

"We need to get out of here," Alec said firmly, his eyes darting around the room, trying to figure out our best options.

"Follow me." I began running to the corner where the wooden planks were jutting out of the wall.

On the ground, any of the Hellions could attack. Up high, we were at least out of reach of some of them. We would have a vantage point, allowing us to better take some of them out.

The grunts of fighting and the screams of humans dying filled the surrounding space. Sounds seemed to echo off the cold stone walls, as if even their final cries could not escape such a place.

None of it mattered.

With Alec beside me, I didn't look back.

The two of us reached the planks and began climbing. At the top, a thin bridge built of metal strips and chains reached across the room. It was roughly ten feet off the ground and leading nowhere but a far wall. Stepping onto it, I froze at the feel of the gentle sway underfoot. None of it looked sturdy enough, but we had little choice. From above, we could attack an unknowing Hellion below, but most importantly, we would be a sliver safer.

I began crossing when something moved, approaching from the other end. A snake Hellion with grotesque bumps all over its long scaly body stirred on the other side. It was a massive black monster of a snake, easily the size of four men put together. It rose, poised, watching me as a tongue flicked from its mouth. Then it lowered itself, slithering towards us. I released the whip, wrapping my hand around the handle and flicking my wrist. The whip made a loud snapping sound as it cut the air.

"Keep him distracted," Alec directed as he jumped from the bridge, grabbing onto a dangling rope from the ceiling. My heart jumped when he did, and my breath hitched when his hands gripped the rope. We did not know how secure the ropes were or if they were strong enough to hold him. Thankfully, they were.

I hated it whenever Alec took charge like that. Sometimes he came up with an idea and acted without waiting for input. Though, to be honest, I was no different.

Alec began swinging his body, moving through the air until he could reach one of the random metal beams that led to nowhere. Letting go of the rope, he flew onto the beam, nearly slipping off. He was moving to position himself with the hellion between us, planning on attacking it from behind, while I kept the thing distracted.