Chapter 1

Frigid droplets of water pierced my skin like falling needles, sending minor shocks through my body

Frigid droplets of water pierced my skin like falling needles, sending minor shocks through my body. The cold sunk into my bones as I scanned the surrounding woodland. Wet blond hair stuck against my face, and a few strands dangled into my eyes. I could barely hear anything over the rain.

Grey clouds hung low in the sky, water casting a pitter-pattering symphony throughout the forest. Each droplet fell with violence, crashing down to earth, spraying up the water of its brethren at impact. Everything living seemed to still, watching the display of the clouds shunning its water.

Crouching behind a tree, I waited for them to get closer, cursing myself for not noticing their approach sooner. With the rain moistening the ground to the point of puddles pooling under every foot, running would cause too much noise for the Seraph's keen ears. Maybe we would get lucky and the threat would simply pass by, never nearing us. It was a measly hope, and having hope was useless in the current world. A fleeting light that drew people till their feet hit quicksand, and they sunk. Those with the most hope had always been the first to fall.

We were going to be very lucky if our entire human party made it intact by the end of this, which was wishful thinking at best. Deep down, I knew this was likely to end poorly for some. The Seraphs weren't known for missing their targets. My gut knew that they were on a hunt and we were their prey.

Heat moved over my skin, settling into my bones. I sensed them moving closer.

If they got close enough to see us, as I predicted they would, then we would have no choice but to fight. It would not be a battle ending in any form of victory, at least not for us. There was no victory for humans. Our mortal weapons did little against their kind, but their angel blades could cause actual damage. If only I could get my hands on one.

Angels had gifts, such as quickly healing from wounds created by manmade weapons. However, if cut by an angel blade, then they healed no quicker than if I were cut with a blade. It leveled the field, barely, but was better than nothing.

Clenching the mere six-inch knife in my hand, I looked across the way to Kat. Her hazel eyes peered back at me from behind a tree. Raising a thin finger in front of my lips, I signaled to wait. The Seraphs were drawing nearer, heading straight for us as if we were a beacon calling to them. Unless their course was to abruptly change, they would see us clear as day, or at least would smell us or hear our hearts thundering, even over the sound of the rain. We were going to have to fight or run. I shuddered with dread as it moved through me before pushing it away.

I held up three fingers to Kat, letting her know how many of them I felt approaching. She nodded and vanished behind the tree, passing my signal down the line before coming back into view.

Kat and Alec were the only humans in our party who truly mattered to me. In a cold and cruel world how I had shared my heart with two others... I shook my head, forcing myself not to think of it. My mother would have been disappointed, thinking me weak for tethering myself to other souls. Luckily for her, she was not around to see me risk a thing.