Chapter 4 | Parting Ways

"Alright, I have an idea... what if we split up for a bit, two people together to try and find out more about what's going here, ok?" Ethan proposes while crouching slightly on his blanket bed.

We all agreed to his idea and started to think of where we haven't been and who we could pair up with to go said places, all of a sudden Aurora spoke up and said,

"I'm going with Ethan, I don't trust either of you to go with my brother on this stupid "mission" plus I don't like you guys, you seem too chatty for my type." she said trying to insult us I think, River didn't appreciate the things she said but kept her comments to herself.

"I think it's better if we don't stick together, you can get quite loud at times and I'd rather not want to get chased and tortured along with the other people here because of your loud frustration, ok? And I think it would be better if you went with River anyways, she's smarter than she looks and can somehow fit through almost any small opening" Ethan replied to his sister calmly as to not alarm the workers in the building.

She scoffed and replied with a quiet "fine" while turning to face River and signalling for her to stand up and follow her. She did as signalled and followed her without saying a word.

Now here I am stuck with Ethan trying to figure out a smart plan to find out more information about what's been going on to the people of our town whilst also keeping quiet. I looked out into the hallway of the dark and sombre building and found a slightly open door that one of the scientists just walked out of.

I looked at Ethan and pointed at the door, he nodded. We went into the dark room that had only one light illuminating it, it was an off green colour.

Ethen suddenly pulled out a flashlight from his pocket and turned it on startling me. He softly said sorry and pointed the flashlight around the room.

This was another room with those odd test tube things in it, except they were all empty, except for the fact that they all had a strange thick liquid inside of them.

I walked over to a tube that was close to the floor and sniffed the contents of it, it smelled almost like gasoline but it looked like thick sprite. I fiddled with my pockets until I found a small jar I had put in it, so that's where moms jar went...

I took off the lid and put some of the strange liquid inside by scooping it with the jar. I then walked over to Ethan who was observing the light.

"Here, look what I found." I said while trying to hand him the jar, his face scrunched in disgust as he took it out of my hand and slid it into his hoodie pocket.

"So that must be what I was smelling when we got in here, gross" he said, "also I noticed there are no windows in this room, come to think of it there were only a few on the outside too" he said moving around looking for any sign of the outside world.

"Yeah I noticed it too and-" I felt a vibration coming from my pocket, I took my phone out of my hoodie and saw who it was, it was River.

*we need help* was what it said...