-1-

America was not as amazing as some of my friends in London had thought it to be. When I touched down at the JFK airport, I wasn't overcome with a feeling of freedom and democracy like we all thought would happen—in fact, I was completely asleep and didn't wake up until a flight attendant shook me.

I had gotten my visa and applied for dual citizenship ages ago, but had finally worked up the nerve to get on the plane and move. A lot of my friends lived in America, plus New York had amazing writing opportunities for me. On top of that, my university offered foreign exchange, and since I was studying political journalism, it was an almost golden opportunity.

I was in my last year of university, and would go back to London for my graduation next May, but in the middle of June, I arrived in New York City.

I clambered off the plane and started to head towards baggage claim, where an oversized suitcase and a guitar case sat waiting for me, spinning on the carousel awkwardly.

Outside, my Uber waited for me impatiently. With my things shoved into the trunk, the driver sped off towards the NYU admissions office, leaving me at the front like an abandoned baby in a box on the steps of an orphanage. I dragged my suitcase behind me, my bass guitar slung over my shoulder, and began to anxiously walk towards the doors.

The lady sitting at reception looked up from her phone and smiled at me when I walked through the giant glass doors.

"George Davidson?" She asked politely, and at first I wondered how she knew my name. I nodded. "You're the last of our early move in admissions. We've got your schedule for your summer courses here—you'll start next week. You can go ahead and head towards the apartments, your Dean already sorted out the living situation for you while you're here."

Her smile was sweet, almost enticing. I gave her an awkward nod and took the papers that she held out to me, turning to retreat back into the city. The apartments and dorms were only a few blocks down, and as I walked, I admired the tall, modern buildings that held thousands of offices and classrooms.

I wasn't supposed to take any summer classes, but since June was the earliest I could get into the US, I decided to enroll in a chemistry course and some psychology lectures. My tuition was paid for through a fancy scholarship I'd earned in my last year before University, so as long as I kept my grades and stayed active, my courses were paid for. Of course, I wasn't looking forward to buying 2000£ worth of textbooks, but you win some, you lose some.

So here I was, alone in a foreign city, waiting to finish my degree and forget everything I'd ever wanted in my life. My guitar smacked against my back as I walked; I reminisced back on when I first started to learn to play.

I couldn't have older than thirteen, but when I saw the pretty bass in the shop window, I begged and begged my father to let me play. Reluctantly, he lectured me on how expensive it was and how I would need to constantly play otherwise it would be a waste. I promised that I'd play it every day—even use my allowance to pay for private lessons if I needed to.

I sat that night, strumming the strings excitedly, wanting to already know how to play. It was a beautiful blue—my favorite color. The poor thing was almost ten years old now. It was worn, damaged in spots, and the strings had been replaced nearly ten times, but it was loved.

When I first started to play, I wanted to start a band and be the main bassist, but alas, I didn't really have any friends. I was always a shy kid, never really interacting with people. So it was a dream that I'd had, but as I grew older, the bass became a fun hobby, something I couldn't live without, but not something I'd ever be able to become known for.

Of course, going into University, I came out of my shell a lot. A lot of people, I think, we're almost shocked when I reverted from the shy, impressionable kid into one of the most extroverted guys on campus. My newfound joy for going to parties and getting wasted didn't stop me from being overly anxious and quiet while sober, though. My mother's advice growing up was to let loose, and live a little; she wasn't exactly pleased that I followed through with it though.

I turned into the building and gathered my keys and information at the front, before entering the elevator and climbing to the fourteenth flour. I wondered how I managed to get an apartment so high up—and how I managed to only have one roommate that I didn't have to share my bedroom with.

The door was still locked by the time I got there; I figured that my flat mate wouldn't be moving in until the autumn semester started, so I took it upon myself to start filling the apartment with necessities from my Amazon wish list.

I had first pick of the bedrooms, and obviously chose the room that had a huge glass window that overlooked the city. I'll admit it was a beautiful view, but I missed the way that London looked from my old flat.

I set my suitcase on the bed and started to unpack, turning on music to help me focus. I didn't have a lot—everything else I needed for the year was on its way from London, courtesy of my mother being so kind and mailing it to me. I folded all my clothes and put them in the dresser, including my shirts, since I wasn't lucky enough to have a closet.

I started to unpack my PC, which what had made my suitcase so heavy. I had a few hobbies; besides the guitar, I liked to write and play video games. Kind of stereotypical for a guy my age, but I couldn't help that I liked to play Valorant and Jackbox.

By the time my computer was set up, my clothes were put away, and all my books were stacked nicely on the desk, the sun was setting across the city. I roamed around the apartment, which wasn't really that big.

It had two bedrooms, one bathroom, though the bathroom was pretty fucking nice, and a small kitchen attached to a little sitting area. A television already sat on the wall, along with some pretty basic essentials, like the fridge, a microwave, a couch, and an oven. It was nice. I returned to my room and looked at my debit card balance; without a seconds hesitation, I pressed buy on my Amazon wishlist. I usually wasn't that lenient with my money, but I couldn't exactly go for very long without pots and pans and things like that.

Besides, I was scheduled to start working at a newspaper company as a paid intern once I started my classes, so I wasn't exactly terrified of spending the money I had.

I retreated from the desk and sat on my bed, my guitar across my lap as I started to pluck some notes. The callouses on my fingers would never die down, but they were almost comforting as out of tune music filled my bedroom.

***

Welcome to INHALE!! This is a DNF college fic. There will be mature themes like the use of alcohol and drugs, as well as mature language and themes. I'm not using anyone's real names except for people who's gamer tags are their names!! Dream is Dream, not Clay! Lol. Please enjoy and check out my Sapnap fic "Stream"!!