ChApTeR TwO

"Down to earth, but still above you."

2 YeArS AgO

2 YeArS AgO...

That night of her funeral, all I could feel was pain. Pain punching holes in my heart, my emotions are a wreck, my soul dying. I knew she was in heaven, looking down at me right now. Everything around me was shattered. Everything was out of place.

He looked at me with so much hatred. He looked at me with pity, remorse, and the faith of betrayal. The look on his face made my heart sunk deeper. The fact that he hated me, the fact that maybe this would change our lives forever. This was where my happiness died, it was where it ended. I have nothing. My heart was empty.

I clenched my fists on the black midnight dress I was wearing, soaked with overnight tears, soaked with my pain and sorrows. As they all went up to say a few words to her, I just stood there waiting for my turn. I waited patiently. But I was scared because of the looks I was receiving from Arsen. Looks that I have never seen him gave me from our entire childhood.

"She was a pure soul. One to remember, one to cherish, a brave girl who would do anything to make someone else happy because she chose to put everyone's happiness before hers because that made her happy. Even though she was so young, she already grew up. She..." her mother sniffed, "...she was my only daughter and the only sister Arsen loved so much. Sometimes God takes back his angels too soon. She didn't have to die so young."

The words from her mouth touched my heart. If she didn't jump in the way to protect me, I would be dead and she would be alive right now. I was the one who should die. I need her to come back and take me instead.

Mom bent down and whispered to me, "Go. It's your turn. Stay strong for her, Lilith."

I took a deep breath in and approached her grave slowly. I gulped with all the eyes on me as if I was a monster. As if I was the one who told her to jump in and save me. I looked over at Arsen and he was not looking good. He was clenching and unclenching his fists at both his sides.

I rolled out a letter I have written for her funeral. I suddenly felt my eyes getting blurry. I tried to hold back the tears but they threatened to fall. As I read each line, tear by tear fell on the paper, "I don't know... where to start Ava. But my world is crumbling apart. I didn't expect a day as terrible as this would come. I- I- you are- I-," I began to break. Messing up my words and trying to continue but in this state, I was in, it was impossible to.

Arsen couldn't control his anger. He just let them out, "You killed her. You even have the guts to come here and cry your fake tears and your sorry for letter. We don't want to hear that. I watched my sister jumped in the way to protect you. You are the one that should have been dead."

It felt like the walls in my chest broke down. Consuming this was too much for my body.

"You show up here like you actually care about her. If you did, you would never let her kill herself to save you. I will hate you for the rest of your time on earth. I wish you were dead."

Present...

Arsen Elrod.

No. I hoped to God I was dreaming. This wasn't a good look. Was this... real? We stood there facing each other. My eyes already getting blurred the pain circulating in my chest like old times. All I saw on his face was Ava. And all I could remember were all the terrible things he did, to make me a train wreck. He stood there with his nose flaring, his fists curled, and his chest moving fast as he inhales and exhales.

No. I cannot let my guard down. I didn't change to go back to my old feelings again. I won't let it happen.

"Arsen Elrod, it's been like... 2 years since I watched your sister under the dirt," I kept a huge smile on my face.

He clenched his cheekbones and closed his eyes for a while.

"Oh, did I say anything to anger you? It's been 2 good whole years. It's nice seeing you again," I said.

He grabbed my neck and forcefully pushed me against the blue metal lockers, "You were the last person I was expecting to see. I thought you were fucking dead. You should be dead, I need you to die."

I am used to this.

"Is this the man you have become? To put your filthy hands on a lady. When Ava was alive she didn't like it when-" he raised his hand to hit me in my face, but luckily Principal Kendall saw the act before he dared to put his hand on me.

"What is going on here?" he asked.

"Oh principal, this guy wants to force me to have sex with him. I just came here, why would he want to do that to me?" I said to him before turning my head to Arsen and giving him a bright smile.

He freed his hand from around my neck and tried to calm his nerves, "We were just greeting each other. Nothing more. I leave now," he walked off without saying anything more.

Well, that was a start.

"Go to class. Don't let me phone your mother on your first day."

"What are you now? My dead father," I mumbled, looking at the map in my hands to find my first class.

I cannot afford my terrible past to erupt again. I buried that 2 years ago. What happened two years ago, stays in 2 years ago. I don't have time to start old drama. I don't give a shit.

 I don't give a shit

.•.

I know how angry you are with the second chapter. Get some popcorn, get some snacks, or whatever because we are about to dive in what's hot and what's flaring. Give your honest opinions on Chapter two. Stop hesitating to do so. Thank you!

Krystal.