Part 15

Bucky should feel bad for ruining the operation, but he didn't. He felt satisfied, but also betrayed. The two men who killed you were dead, but also you didn't really die. You survived. You were alive.

Everyone headed back to headquarters where Bucky received quite the yelling from Stark himself. Bucky was also suspended from the job for an uncertain amount of time. Was he upset about it? Yes. But did he deserve it? Again, yes. Now with a slightly more clear headed mindset, he could see that everything could've gone a lot worse than it had. He had direct orders to stay out of it and he didn't. But fuck it all if it meant that you'd never have to suffer by Rawlins and Pierce's hands again.

"Bucky?" his ears perked at the sound of your voice. He didn't realize that everyone cleared the room leaving just him...and you.

"You're okay," he breathed out in disbelief.

You looked so somber, so guilty. You whimpered as you stepped further into the room, "I-I'm so sorry, Bucky. They said this was the only way. We had to give Rawlins and Pierce a false sense of security-"

Bucky rushes out of his chair and to you, cupping your face and soothing your cries, "Sssshhh. It's okay. It's okay. I'm not mad at you. I'm sorry. God, Y/N, I'm so sorry. I should've been better, should've done better to protect you. I-"

It was your turn to soothe Bucky, "Ssshhh. I forgive you, Bucky. It's okay. I'm here and I'm alive. We both are. Can't say the same for Rawlins and Pierce."

"I'd do anything for you, Y/N, and that fucking scares me," Bucky mumbled, resting his forehead against yours.

"I heard you got suspended."

"Yeah, don't know how long for. Worth it though," he said with a smirk as his arms circled around, "I have something, moreso someone, more important to attend to." he pressed his lips to yours in a breathless kiss, one he's been waiting for since he realized he was falling for you.

When you pulled away for air, your panting filled the room, "I know I said it before, when I thought you were gonna die, but I love you, Bucky Barnes. Despite you being a real pain in the ass, I really fucking love you."

Bucky snickered, giving you a chaste kiss, "I love you too, sweetheart. Nothin' will keep me away from you. Nothin'."

___________________

"No,"

"Y/N-"

"Why do I still need bodyguard?! I already have, Bucky!"

"No offense, kid, but Bucky here isn't too sharp when he's around you." Tony said with a shrug.

Bucky nodded, and looked at you, "He's right, Y/N. Rawlins and Pierce might be dead, but you don't know if any of their people might want to seek out revenge. So it's best that you Sam, Nat, and Hope continue to stay by your side for the next year."

You groaned, slumping in your chair, "And to think I'd have my privacy back," you mumbled.

Sam feigned offense, "And I thought we were besties, Y/N!"

You rolled your eyes and rolled up a piece of paper, throwing it at Sam, "Whatever."

Tony cleared his throat, "And since you and Barnes here are romantically involved, Barnes, that means you have no say in what Nat and her team does with Y/N to ensure hers as well as your safety."

Bucky waved, "Yeah, yeah. Just don't get in my way from spending time with my girl and everything will go smoothly." he scoot closer to you in his chair, wrapping and arm around your shoulder, "Been wanting to step down from team leader for a while anyway. Shit's stressful," he said with a cheeky grin.

You then looked up at the team, "Well, we good? 'Cause I think Bucky and I have a date that's long over do." you said with a smile, turning to Bucky, whose eyes were soft as he gazed at you.

Sam pretended to yak, "I think I preferred the pining over this disgusting cute shit."

Both you and Bucky gave Sam the finger as you stood up and walked out of the debriefing room. Nat, Hope, and Sam followed, and you didn't pay them attention one bit. All of your attention was on the man that had not only stolen your heart, but vowed to protect it for as long as he lives.