1. Last Day of Spring

Summary:

A case in New York brings two long-lost childhood friends together. And it makes you reopen the hurtful past.

(Flashbacks in italics)

---------------

"We've got an urgent one" JJ announces an early morning like any other. This time though, they don't sit around the table. "The brass specifically requested our involvement. There's been an explosion within the offices of SM, in New York. They think it could escalate to a terrorist attack"

"The brass" Morgan repeats. "so, that means pressure from Strauss?"

Hotch nods sharply. "unfortunately yes. We will be collaborating closely with Homeland Security as well. Let's keep all communications civil. Wheels up in 10"

The others pick up their things and shuffle around fast. It's how they find each other not an hour later in the crime scene, surrounded by CSI, medical examiners and more– everything becoming a whirlwind.

Hotch had divided the tasks to the others in the flight here: JJ back at the precinct, to talk with the victims' families; Rossi and Reid to the medical examiners; Prentiss, Morgan and him at the crime scene.

The office building is almost destroyed. It's what they all note as well as they walk through the debris, walls and roof still intact.

Yet the two men who'd been here in the early morning had not been as lucky.

Amongst the disorder of the investigation though, a loud voice soars through.

"...I want everyone collecting every viable trace of the bomb. Nico – please deal with the press and hush down every single news of this being a terrorist attack. We do not want to give them a field day."

Hotch, Morgan and Prentiss glance at one another at the voice. The last two look at Hotch waiting for him to be mad as well. Because that's JJ's task. Someone is giving orders and interfering with their work.

They follow the boisterous female voice through the mass of agents and forensic investigators.

"Gregson, do we have any news yet about credit?"

"Not yet ma'am, none of the terrorist cells have taken credit for it" a man's voice answers.

"Okay. Keep me in the loop"

They part the way for the man – Gregson, they assume – as he exits the office.

Prentiss and Morgan halt and share a look, because Hotch is fuming already. They expect him to burst at any moment.

He pushes through and finally finds the voice.

It belongs to what appears to be a young female agent, dressed in a white button-down, black slacks, and gun holstered at the side, around the waist - you.

They see the distinctive badge on you: Homeland Security, and the way you seems to be commanding the place even though you're not statuesque or tall. You give the air of someone important. You must be since you're ordering people around, even without them calling you by title.

They expected to see someone stone-faced, old, and maybe scary-looking.

No, Hotch expected someone stone-faced, old and scary-looking.

Not a young female agent. Not you.

Never you.

He stops breathing when he sees you before him, amongst the remains of the office, barking out orders and questions. He swallows the need to confront you right away for not collaborating in the decision-making process, just so he can take a good look at you.