Chap. Six - The Result

I have taken the test.

   I have lost my best friend.

   What's next for me?

    I don't know.

It only takes the computer two hours to come up with our results. It only takes the Guide thirty minutes to organize them. I sit in the waiting room next to Ivan, who keeps fidgeting and every ten seconds, he'd get up and pace. He is breathing hard and I can see beads of sweat sticking to his jet black hair but I don't judge; I am just as nervous.

     "Hey," I say to him.

    He looks.

     "First of all, just sit down."

    He sits. I reach over and grab both of his shoulders.

   "Second of all, you need to distract yourself with something, okay?"

   Ivan shrugs and wipes his forehead with his hankerchief. "I guess."

   "Let's think of something positive to talk about, alright?"

   He shrugs again. "Anything you come up with will be better than what I've got."

   I don't ask what he means. "Hm, I wouldn't count on it," I say. "You know what, I'm going to go get us a latte. Okay?"

   Ivan nods, clearly pleased at the idea of coffee.

  I strut over to the machine, praying for an honest distraction from everything. They say the coffee helps, but I don't know for sure. I brew myself and Ivan two cups of the latte, mine with carmel. Just as I am about to take our drinks over, a soft hand grabs my arm and pulls me back, behind a wall.

   "Hey!" I say. And just as I am about to elbow the figure behind me, they turn me around and I am face to face with the very last person I want to see.

    "Alice." Jack's breath comes out heavily, like he has been searching the world to find me. I really don't care. Not now. Not after what I saw.

    I turn my head away, hoping for an escape. I could scream, but that would be totally inappropriate and unforgivably cold towards Jack. Knowing that was the only other way, I take my chances and try to run from the corner.

   Jack's long arm darts out, blocking me from leaving. Damnit! I still try to get out but he grabs my arms, keeping me within his reach. I fight my arms from his grip, but it is useless. I am not strong enough. "Let go of me!" I hiss.

  "No," he says. I hear a hint of pleading in his voice and I finally quit. We stare at each other for several moments before Jack takes a step closer. His head leans in...

   ...and he whispers in my ear. "You've been avoiding me."

   His breath is hot against my neck. My breath catches in my throat. I can almost choke on the sparks that used to be there, but since he is going, I figure I shouldn't. I shrink back and turn away, struggling from the claustrophobic space here.

   Jack pulls back, and his eyes scrutinizing me as I try to look at anything else but him. "Look at me, Alce." I don't. I don't want to look at him. He only reminds me of what will happen. He will soon forget about me. The sixteen years we spent together will no longer exist in his mind. It'll only be a figure of history.

   "Look at me."

   I only glance at him. I know I'm being unfair, but this is how it has to be. We have to move on. Both of us. "What?" I say.